Sunday, October 11, 2009

VeganMoFo: Portobello Mushroom "Fries".





These were a treat and a half! I usually shy away from eating fried food but a friend of mine recommended this recipe to me. I followed a recipe by Rachael Ray and veganized it by substituting soymilk instead of egg wash and "parmezano sprinkles"* for the parmesan. Came out really good except a little salty because I think I oversalted the mushrooms before grilling them. But aside from that, the mushrooms were juicy and the panko crumb coating was wonderfully crispy. After eating a few dipped in homemade ranch (Vegenaise, red wine vinegar, plain soymilk, garlic powder, parsley), I combatted the saltiness by wrapping each "fry" in a green leaf lettuce. It was really fresh and yummy that way. Just had a thought! These would make great "wings"!

*parmezano sprinkle is a recipe for faux parmesan cheese in The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook which consists of almonds, white miso paste, nutritional yeast and salt. I imagine you can skip the parmesan and just use breadcrumbs with equally good results.

11 comments:

chow vegan said...

OMG, those look so good! What a great idea! :-)

nora said...

Such a great idea!

Oraphan said...

I LOVE Portobello Mushroom, I'd love to give it a try. It sounds really good:)

Jen Treehugger said...

Oh wow - they looks delicious. I just bought some parmezano sprinkles and I'm super excited to try them out.
:)

Bonnie said...

Yum! I'd never heard of mushroom fries before, but they look very good. I love the background in the picture, too - it looks like a lovely garden...

Lindsay said...

Wow great idea - must try

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

That sounds amazing! What a fantastic, fantastic idea.

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

gorgeous!!! I cannot wait to make these.

The Kuntrageous Vegan said...

oh. my. god. holy grail of deliciousness!

Anonymous said...

What a creative idea!

af said...

I thought these looked like ribs for a second and was like "what..."