When you don't have time to stuff and roll a bunch of cabbage leaves, this is the perfect recipe!
leaves and a hearty tomato sauce, rice and ground veggie beef mixture!
Yes, H liked it and had some for lunch!
Stuffed Cabbage Casserole
1 small head of cabbage, cored and peeled of its layers
1 jar of marinara sauce (I used Kirkland brand so it was a massive 2 lb. jar. Maybe use 1 1/2 or 2 regular sized jars.)
2 TB olive oil
1 onion chopped
3 cloves garlic chopped
2 ribs celery chopped
1/4 cup each of fresh parsley and cilantro chopped
1 package veggie ground beef (I used Yves brand. Trader Joes has one too.)
1 1/2 cups cooked rice
Salt pepper to taste
Tomato sauce topping:
1 - 14oz can tomato sauce
(Mix in a bowl with garlic powder, salt, pepper, pinch of sugar and dried dill)
1. Blanche cabbage leaves in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 f and prepare a casserole dish sprayed with oil.
3. Heat olive oil in a pan on medium heat and sauté onion, garlic and celery until tender.
4. Add veggie ground and break it up with a wooden spoon. Add marinara sauce, herbs and season with salt and pepper and a pinch of sugar. When sauce starts to bubble. add rice and cook for about five more minutes.
5. Layer the casserole with the cabbage first and then some tomato rice mixture between each layer. End with cabbage on the top layer.
6. Pour tomato dill sauce all over the top and spread to cover. Cover dish with foil and bake for 1 hour.