Saturday, May 8, 2010

Weekend Cooking: Penne with Roasted Vegetables and Herbs

I was looking at one of my favorite blogs yesterday, "My Marrakesh" and saw a post about beautiful food. The pasta with roasted vegetables was calling out to me and I had to make it right away.


First I roasted some vegetables: grape tomatoes, zucchini, carrots, eggplant and mushrooms. I tossed them in olive oil that had been infused with crushed garlic and fresh rosemary, thyme and basil. I also sprinkled a bit of sea salt and black pepper on top and roasted them at 400 degrees F.


Some veggies cooked faster than others, so I had to scoop them out first... all the while I had a pot of penne simmering in water on the stove.


When all the vegetables were cooked, I tossed them with the drained pasta, added a little more olive oil, salt, freshly cracked black pepper and more crushed garlic. It was sooo good! Next time I'm going to up the veggies because I would have rather had more veg than pasta. Such a simple meal to put together and would be great at a dinner party along with salad, bread and wine!

6 comments:

Stefanie said...

It looks good. I may have to roast some veggies today.

I Am Gluten Free said...

Love the idea of infusing the olive oil with fresh garlic and herbs. Thanks fro the tip!

Ellen

DJ Karma said...

I love roasting veggies- and pasta only makes it better! Nice job!

Kamaile said...

This looks fantastic. I'll have to make this on the weekend for quick weekday lunches. Thanks!

rainbowlens said...

Wow, I just read that post on My Marrakesh earlier today and thought how yummy it looked! Thanks for the recipe, I look forward to re-creating something similar.

Gem

Sasha said...

Herbal plants used in the Ayurvedic system of medicine are facing extinction.
Definite cause of concern, as Ayurveda is increasingly being used around the world to treat various disorders such as obesity, hypertension, diabetes, ulcers and many others.

Some herbs that have been identified are - Ulteria salicfolia, Hydnocarpus pentandra, Gymnocladus assamicus, and Begonia tessaricarpa.


Conservation of traditional herbs and plants should become a high priority for all. Challenge
becomes more severe as many of these herbs grow in the wild and are not cultivated.


Planet Green (a discovery.com venture) reported on this earlier this month.


More details on the Ayurveda Group blog (http://www.ayurvedagroup.com/blog)

Direct link to the blog post
http://ayurvedagroup.com/blog/2010/93-of-ayurvedas-wild-medicinal-plants-threatened-with-extinction/


Link to planet green site
http://planetgreen.discovery.com/food-health/ayurvedas-medicinal-plants-extinction.html