Monday, May 4, 2009

Moroccan Carrot-Orange Salad



My cousin Oraphan (of Easy Veggie blog) came to my dad's b-day party on Saturday and made this beautiful salad. I loved it so much. Hers was flavored with orange, lemon juice, olive oil, sugar, cinnamon, raisins and pine nuts! I re-created it this morning and didn't remember the exact proportions of ingredients but I was able to add little by little until it tasted just right. The bright citrus notes of the lemon and orange contrasted beautifully with the sweet carrot and spicy cinnamon. I added agave syrup to mine instead of sugar and toasted almonds instead of pine nuts. This salad is very refreshing and perfect for a mild spring day like today.

Edited to add recipe.

This is approximately what I did to make this salad:

3-4 carrots, grated
1 orange, peel and pith removed, cut into chunks
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 TB olive oil
1 TB agave syrup (you may use less to cut down on sweetness)
pinch of salt
1/4 tsp of ground cinnamon
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup sliced almonds

Mix all ingredients together and chill.

7 comments:

Oraphan said...

Oh, my dear Kim! Your salad looks so lovely! I can't post mine until next week, my husband took the camera with him to MA that night. I'm now trying to figure out how to use the old camera. Hopefully, I'll be able to post what I'm cooking today!

Anonymous said...

recipe PLEEEEAASSE!!!

kmouse said...

anon,
Just posted the recipe!

Anonymous said...

You ROCK!

aTxVegn said...

That's so cool to find out Oraphan is your cousin! I love her blog and I love carrot salads. This one looks really delicious. And happy birthday to your dad!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

That is gorgeous! Absolutely gorgeous!

Mary said...

Ooh, that does sound perfect for warm weather!