Monday, May 25, 2009

Egyptian Lentil Soup

I'm so used to making lentil soup with split red lentils that I wanted a break from it to cook with brown lentils. I found the perfect recipe for egyptian lentil soup from a new cookbook I just acquired called 'Classic Vegetarian Cooking from the Middle East and North Africa'. As most of you know, I love middle eastern flavors so this soup was right up my alley. It's dead simple but richly flavored with cumin, garlic, onions and lemon juice. The recipe requires an extra step at the end of adding fried onions as a garnish on top of the soup but I wanted to save my fat and calorie count. This is my soup o' the week and I'll be having it for dinner every day after work. Yum!

10 comments:

n/a said...

Oh, that looks awesome! I have that book. I need to look through my ethnic cookbooks for raw recipes, just to expand what I eat and use the books I already have! Maybe there's some salads.

Vic Robinson said...

This looks incredible! I really enjoy your blog.

Oraphan said...

Yum...Yum...Yum...Your soup looks so yummy!!! =D

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Amazing. I really should make soup more often.

veggievixen said...

i have made a similar recipe before...it was so good!

Anonymous said...

Can you please make something with lentils?

Mary said...

The seasoning sounds delicious. I'll bet the soup gets better each day it sits in the fridge.

Jen Treehugger said...

Looks beautiful and I LOVE that dish.
OK - the word verification is forkette!!!

hee hee hee

(yes I am easily amused)

aTxVegn said...

That is a beautiful soup and it sounds just delicious!

Unknown said...

Wow, everything in the pics looks so tasty! I may have to stop into the place where you work the next time I'm in town...because I may be too lazy to make the dishes myself:)