Monday, May 11, 2009

Lazy Falafel.

Now, when I usually make falafel I make it from scratch but today I was really lazy and wanted to be quick about it. A while ago, I bought one of these packet falafel mixes by Sadaf and it looked pretty easy, you just need to add water. I bought some fresh pita and made a lemon dill garlic sauce to go with it (it's vegenaise, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, dill). I also made a side dish of lemon dill rice with pinenuts. The falafel was alright though not as good as my homemade stuff (isn't homemade everything so much better?). It was a little on the dry side but I had baked them instead of frying so maybe that contributed to the dryness. But all in all, it was a very satisfying meal.

I served the falafel sandwiches with fresh cucumber slices, tomato and onions sprinkled with sumac.


Oraphan said...

Looks so yummy!!!

I've never had Falafel before. Now I'm wondering if I should try to make it from scratch or the "lazy way"(it sounds like "my way",Haha) Which way would you recommend for me?

kmouse said...

I recommend homemade for sure. It's not lazy but it is not super difficult either. It just takes a little more time. I like the recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance. Link to ingredients here:
(The olive oil in the recipe is for frying. Do not add it to chickpea mixture. If you don't want to fry, you can also bake for 20 minutes in a 400 degree oven as well!)

kmouse said...

...oh yeah forget to say, you need to mash the chickpeas first! :) I'll email you the directions if you want.

Sarah said...

looks great! falafel mixes are usually dry, regardless of baking or frying.

Oraphan said...

Thanks so much for the link, Kim.
I checked the recipe and I have all of the ingredients so I'm planning to make it this Friday. I would love to have the directions, please.

Thanks a million. xoxoxo