Monday, May 11, 2009

Lazy Falafel.



Now, when I usually make falafel I make it from scratch but today I was really lazy and wanted to be quick about it. A while ago, I bought one of these packet falafel mixes by Sadaf and it looked pretty easy, you just need to add water. I bought some fresh pita and made a lemon dill garlic sauce to go with it (it's vegenaise, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, dill). I also made a side dish of lemon dill rice with pinenuts. The falafel was alright though not as good as my homemade stuff (isn't homemade everything so much better?). It was a little on the dry side but I had baked them instead of frying so maybe that contributed to the dryness. But all in all, it was a very satisfying meal.


I served the falafel sandwiches with fresh cucumber slices, tomato and onions sprinkled with sumac.

5 comments:

Oraphan said...

Looks so yummy!!!

I've never had Falafel before. Now I'm wondering if I should try to make it from scratch or the "lazy way"(it sounds like "my way",Haha) Which way would you recommend for me?

kmouse said...

I recommend homemade for sure. It's not lazy but it is not super difficult either. It just takes a little more time. I like the recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance. Link to ingredients here:
http://caloriecount.about.com/falafel-recipe-r101300
(The olive oil in the recipe is for frying. Do not add it to chickpea mixture. If you don't want to fry, you can also bake for 20 minutes in a 400 degree oven as well!)

kmouse said...

...oh yeah forget to say, you need to mash the chickpeas first! :) I'll email you the directions if you want.

Sarah said...

looks great! falafel mixes are usually dry, regardless of baking or frying.

Oraphan said...

Thanks so much for the link, Kim.
I checked the recipe and I have all of the ingredients so I'm planning to make it this Friday. I would love to have the directions, please.

Thanks a million. xoxoxo