Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Crockpot Chili That Went Wrong and Then Was Saved.


This was the first time using my crockpot to make chili. I don't know what it was but after cooking for 7 hours, I tasted it and it was really sour and had a "tinny" flavor. Not good at all. I tried to save it by transferring it to the stovetop in a normal pot and letting it simmer for a while longer, after adding brown sugar, more salt and pepper, cumin and chili powder. It made it much more palatable but still not the best chili ever. I've made excellent stovetop chili with the same ingredients so I don't know why it was so off. Could it be the crockpot's fault? Well, I'll probably not make chili in it again...


It tasted good in a veggie hot dog. So all was not lost. What really made it all better was this....


The most delicious cornbread EVER.


With some margarine and agave syrup. Yummmmmm.... You can find the recipe here. I added 1/4 cup sugar to my batter because I happen to like a sweeter cornbread.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That cornbread looks amazing! I wish I could have a piece of that right now. Cornbread is one of my favorites.

veggievixen said...

glad you were able to save it! it could have been the crock pot, but i am not really sure they make crock pots whose materials come off in your food...at least i hope they don't!

mmm cornbread.

Anonymous said...

that looks preettty tasty...the sour and bitter taste comes from not cooking the chili powder and tomatoes long enough....the acid needs to be neutralized

Jen Treehugger said...

Mmmmmm Chili Dogs! Now you're talking!
That Cornbread is AMAZING!!!

Tami said...

Did you put onions straight in your slow cooker raw? When I do that, I'm never happy with the result. I get a very off taste. Good save on your part!

Now that cornbread looks scrumptious!

kmouse said...

Tami,
Yes I did. That may have been what did it. I was lazy to saute them first so I just threw them in with the veggies, beans, tomatoes, spices and water. Woops!

aTxVegn said...

I'm glad you were able to salvage the chili. I think Tami was right. Sometimes you actually have to cook your ingredients before you transfer them to the crockpot, which kind of defeats the purpose, but....

That cornbread looks amazing! Thanks for pointing out the recipe.