Thursday, March 5, 2009

Baking as a stress reliever.



It does work! When you're feeling a little anxious or stressed, baking or cooking gets your mind off your worries beautifully. I was originally going to make cookies but I didn't have the right ingredients so this pineapple upside down cake was the next best choice. I made it healthier by subbing half the flour amount with whole wheat flour and omitting half the sugar. Don't know if that was a wise choice but we'll find out when I taste this later on after it has cooled completely. It's a shame I didn't have little red cherries to stick in the pineapple holes. You will find the recipe for this cake here.

EDIT: This cake was good. Not too sweet and a just a bit "health foody" because of the whole wheat but still good!

9 comments:

Meg said...

It's totally a stress-reliever for me, too! :)

veggievixen said...

the only thing that makes me happy no matter what is cooking.

and cake!

Mary said...

For me, there's nothing better than mixing and kneading to take care of stress. Thanks for the recipe link; I've never made pineapple upside-down cake, but it looks good for summer.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful cake! It must be very yummy. Me too, cooking is such a great stress reliever for me. ~ N:)

Carla said...

I agree totally. Some times I bake every day and have to give the stuff away so I odn't end up the size of a house! It really helps - I think its thecreating something out of nothign and having to take the time to do it!

jd said...

That cake looks fantastic!

And I have to agree, baking is a huge stress reliever! Although I really adore cooking, there's something about measuring all of the ingredients and focusing on accuracy (when baking) that calms me down when I'm upset.

It's the best form of therapy :)

Anonymous said...

When I bake something my stress goes away too, sometimes that's the reason I bake! Your cake looks delicous!

M.L. said...

I'm yet another who finds that baking helps with stress. It's the perfect combination of manual work and creativity, but also being able to follow instructions and not do too much thinking myself.

dreaminitvegan said...

I like to bake too when I'm stressed. Always have. That Pineapple Upside cake looks perfect! My mom used to make this in her cast iron skillet. So good!!!