Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Walnut & Pine Nut Cheese



I'd just like to say before anything, Miso I Love You! This walnut/pine nut cheese is the "Ricotta Cheeze" recipe from Ani Phyo's cookbook. I unfortunately only had unsalted walnuts that were not raw so this recipe is only partially raw! So it's got walnuts, pine nuts, garlic, lemon juice, miso paste and water. I can't say enough how much I love miso paste. I put it in a lot of my cooking and the flavor of this cheese is ridiculously good because of it. (I used red miso by the way.) I also added some dried parsley, dill, black pepper and a no-salt all purpose seasoning. Creamy and delicious on crackers, or raw celery sticks, even german rye bread I imagine. It has a really nice salty, cheesy flavor. I don't think it tastes anything like ricotta cheese but that really doesn't matter. The flavor of this is incredible.



For dinner I made this delicious tomato salad. Now, I usually hate tomato salads but this one was divine with the walnut cheese. I added a drizzle of olive oil and cider vinegar, cilantro, salt and pepper.

9 comments:

Carrie said...

That sounds good, I need to get that book!

LeAnne said...

looks light and tasty! I'd love to try that.

veggievixen said...

wow, sounds amazing! i love miso too. i make green bean-walnut "pate" with miso and it's so good!

marciferous said...

I will be digging out the Ani Phyo book this weekend to try this, that looks SO delish!!

Anonymous said...

looks incredibly delicious! I can't wait to try this.~N:)

Leslie Richman said...

Yum! I really like Abi's recipes for cheezes and pates. Not so much like the foods they are trying to imitate in my opinion, but way better!

Leslie Richman said...

Ani I mean. Can't type today!

Gauri Radha गौरी राधा said...

Looks like a terrific vegan appetizer.

Candied Nuts said...

Philippine pili nuts from the Bicol region in the Philippines is a great Filipino or Philippines food orsnack. Pili nuts are very healthy and nutritious indeed, being a source of energy, potassium and iron.They also have protein, dietary fiber / fibre, and calcium as well as monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats.  I know they have no cholesterol, no trans fat, and the unsalted ones have no sodium. What is great about the pili nut snack or treat is that they are so crisp, rich, and delicious.