Sunday, March 8, 2009

Cleaning out the pantry.

Times are tough. Very very tough. Business is slow for me and it has been since January 1st. It's a bummer and there's not much I can do except keep on looking out for a part time gig that will help me out. In the meantime, take a look at my shop, you might find something you like!

I've been reading up on the vegan blogs and came across some great ideas at Melomeals. Melody is on a strict budget and has been spending $3.33 per day on food. She has been using up all of the food in her pantry which is what I plan to do this month. I've got a ton of stuff in there that I haven't used and/or have forgotten all about. My challenge this month is to use up as much of it as possible and try to spend less than $15 per week on fresh veggies/fruits and any miscellaneous ingredients that I may need. I told my non-vegan husband that if he's not too keen on eating out of the pantry, he may go ahead and make his go-to pastas, grilled cheeses and whatever he wants to make for himself.

I, on the other hand will try to work with these items:

-brown rice/white rice/sushi rice
-corn pasta/white pasta
-quinoa
-bulgur
-millet
-pearled barley
-oats
-TVP (textured vegetable protein)
-whole wheat flour/all purpose flour
-split red lentils
-green lentils
-yellow split peas
-instant mashed potatoes
-black olives
-roasted red peppers
-tomato sauce/tomato paste/canned diced and stewed tomatoes
-2 cans white beans
-1 can black beans
-1 can fava beans
-1 can refried beans
-2 cans kidney beans
-5 cans chickpeas
-dry aduki beans
-dry red salvadorean beans
-sundried tomato pesto
-chinese style plum sauce
-1 large can pure pumpkin
-plain soymilk
-2 cans coconut milk
-various curry pastes
-frozen corn
-frozen spinach
-russet potatoes
-onions/garlic
-white bread loaf
-german rye bread
-whole wheat pitas
-corn tortillas
-flour tortillas
-taco shells

Lots of things with potential to be great meals! I see a few curries happening, maybe some tacos, burritos as well as casseroles (my favorite kind of dish!). I think it will be a fun challenge. To those of you out there going through tough times and having to pinch pennies, all the best to you and hopefully you are eating well.

8 comments:

Mary said...

That's quite a stash. You have lots of beans and grains, so with a few fresh veggies I'm sure you can come up with a delicious variety of meals.

veggievixen said...

i love your shop!

you could definitely make some bean burgers or cakes, stir frys...i see lots of asian dishes happening.

Carrie said...

Our pantries are very similar - I look forward to seeing which dishes you make as I would like to use up some of my pantry stock as well.

Run Sarah said...

I also have fairly similar stock - I'm trying to save for my wedding expenses so looking forward to see what you come up with.

BuzzleBee said...

I hear you on that one....I think that a lot of people are in the same boat now. I know I am. We are doing the "pantry living" thing too! I just have to get around to posting things....
I can't wait to see what you come up with!
Take care

MeloMeals said...

Yay! well, not yay for tough times, but yay for pantry eating!

I'm sure you'll create awesome meals! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

I had only planned on 60 for the month too, but have already spent around 42.. I am super stocked now, but we'll see if I can pull off the 60?

Jen Treehugger said...

I'm doing the same thing mouse. Work's quiet for me too. Hope it picks up for you soon. Ooooh - I managed to get some Quinoa and tried it for the first time - IT WAS YUM!

Anonymous said...

Your shop is awesome! I hope your business is getting better soon.
I love your idea of cleaning out the pantry. I would like to do the same thing. Can't wait to see what you come up with. ~N:)