Monday, March 23, 2009

Lemon-Cherry "Teasecake" Pudding



Doesn't this look lovely? Would you believe it if I told you that one serving of this pudding contains a serving of a whole grain? "What?", you say? I know, I couldn't believe it myself. The secret whole grain in this recipe is millet. Yes, that stuff that looks like little seeds that I feed my budgie Sparky. This recipe is the 'Lemon Teasecake' recipe from The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook which is a vegan, soy-free version of lemon cheesecake. I didn't have a pie crust so I just layered the filling in a bowl with canned cherry pie filling. It's thick, creamy, tart and slightly sweet. I'm glad I added the cherries which added more sweetness. But how cool is this? You would never guess it was millet. The trick is after you cook the millet, you blend it up with some lemon juice, maple syrup, cashews and vanilla extract until very creamy. After a few hours of refrigeration it is ready to eat. I wish I had some Soyatoo whipped cream to put on top.

10 comments:

nora said...

WOW that looks delicious--so creative! would you recommend the uncheese cookbook highly? i only ask b/c, although i'm sure it's a good book, i have SO many vegan cookbooks and i don't like to ass anymore unless i know that they're phenomenal!

nora said...

wow i definitely meant to write *add anymore hahah

Sarah said...

that looks like the cheesecake my mom used to make!!

nora - i like my uncheese cookbook and i'm willing to bet kim loves hers :)

kmouse said...

nora,
Sarah is right. I do love my uncheese cookbook. I think every person who doesn't eat cheese or dairy should have this book. :)

Mary said...

Wow, cherry cheesecake was always my favorite. This looks so rich, I'll have to try it.

aTxVegn said...

I have a key lime version of this recipe, and I still haven't made it. Everyone seems to love it and it always looks so good!

Carrie said...

Yum! I have this book, I need to try this recipe. Those cherries look fabulous!

veggievixen said...

that is a TOTAL tease.

classic flavor combo for sure. i want to eat it!

Anonymous said...

that looks lovely! must be delicious, i wanna try some.~N:)

Brooklyn Chickpea said...

KMouse...you will make a Vegan out of me yet....