Thursday, December 4, 2008

Smoky Tofu and Red Bean Burgers



Another successful burger recipe. These were inspired by a recipe that Gillian McKeith featured on her show "You Are What You Eat". I liked the idea of beans and tofu together to create a tasty burger. These came out really tasty (omni husband approved yay!) with a hint of smoky flavor, not overwhelming at all. I served them on a hamburger bun with grilled onions, lettuce and tomato. On the side are baked regular and sweet potato fries and for condiment I made a homemade thousand island dressing that was spiked with Frank's Red Hot Sauce!

Smoky Tofu and Red Bean Burgers
(makes 6 patties)

1 14oz. can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
7 oz. firm tofu, squeezed of excess water and crumbled
1 carrot, grated
1/2 onion, chopped finely
2 cloves garlic, minced
handful of parsley, chopped
1/2 cup whole grain breadcrumbs
2 TB flour
1/4 tsp liquid smoke
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp all purpose seasoning (like Mrs. Dash or Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute)
1/2 tsp each of garlic and onion powder (you may add less if you like)
1/2 tsp paprika
salt and pepper to taste

Mash beans in a bowl and add the crumbled tofu. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. I like to use a pastry cutter/blender or fork to help chop and smoosh the mixture which will make it form into patties easier. You may have a taste in order to adjust seasonings. Refrigerate mixture in the fridge for about 30 minutes. Shape into patties and place on oiled baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway at 400 degrees F or until browned and crispy.



Thousand Island Burger Sauce With A Kick

1/2 cup vegan mayo
2-3 TB ketchup
1 TB chopped dill pickle
a squirt of lemon juice
1/4 tsp all purpose seasoning blend
salt and pepper to taste
5-6 drops of hot sauce

Combine all ingredients and chill.

5 comments:

LeAnne said...

nk I may have to make these burgers soon. I've been dying for some bean burgers AND it just so happens that I have a can of red beans waiting in my pantry.

... IT'S ON!!!

kmouse said...

LeAnne,
Yeah do it! These were really good. I can't wait for lunch tomorrow. I've got leftovers - no more buns but that's ok!

Johanna GGG said...

these look excellent - I like the way you serve them on a bun - I always forget to serve burgers in this way!

Jen Treehugger said...

I've just made a very similar Burger to this!!
In my local HFS I can buy Smoked Tofu (cool huh!) so I used that. I LOVE the look of the Burger Sauce - so yum!

Carrie said...

I love (vegan) thousand island..I love hot sauce...a wonderful combination that I need to try!

Thanks for the burger recipe, it sounds nummy!