Tuesday, December 30, 2008

'Gooda' Uncheese + Today's Lunch.

I woke early this morning because I had this idea last night to make "uncheese". For lunch I was planning on a cheese stuffed pepper with spinach salad. I had a nice assortment of red and yellow peppers and lots of spinach for a salad. I leafed through The Ultimate Uncheese Book to pick out which uncheese I was going to make. I saw the recipe for 'Gooda" and decided to give it a go. It turned out really beautiful in color and in taste!


Check out this lovely block of Gooda, a cashew based dairy free cheese. (I used an empty tofu container for the mold.)

So this is what I did for lunch. I took a half yellow pepper, seeded it and drizzled some olive oil into the cavity. I stuffed it with a little spinach, sliced tomato and about 4 TB of Gooda chunks. I stuck it under the broiler for about 7 minutes but the Gooda started to burn so I took it out and popped it in a hot 400 degree oven for about 4 minutes more. This is what came out.


I served it on top of spinach salad that was lightly dressed with olive oil and lemon juice. I smooshed the cheese around with my fork because the burnt parts were too ugly to photograph!


Cut open to see the insides. The uncheese is gorgeous! It was spreadable and very creamy. It went very well with the pepper and the spinach leaves and gave it mucho flavor! Some of the ingredients in this uncheese: cashews, dijon mustard, paprika, garlic, onion, carrots, nutritional yeast*, tahini, liquid smoke. (*Nutritional yeast is a cheesy tasting vegetarian food supplement.)


Mmm, mmm. All together on a fork. A very tasty bite.


Can you tell I loved my lunch?

5 comments:

Glue and Glitter said...

ohman, how did I not even notice this recipe! Gooda! It looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

Yum... smoked gouda is one of the few non-vegan foods I still crave like crazy! That looks like a delicious substitute :)

kmouse said...

Foodeater,
I honestly don't remember what real gouda tastes like! I can't say this "uncheese" will taste like the real thing but it is good in its own right.

Amy said...

Mmm that looks so good!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

That cheese looks great, I really must order that book.