Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I love my crockpot.



Crockpot's rule. I love that you can put a bunch of odds and ends in and you get something fantastic about 8 hours later. That's what I did this morning. I didn't necessarily have many fresh veg but I was still able to chuck in a bunch of frozen veg and come up with this easy vegetable and white bean soup.



I also made the 'Pepper Jack Uncheese' from The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook. This is a soft, mild tasting cheez with a hit of hot peppers. Very nice. I served it with seeded baguette slices.

Crockpot Vegetable Soup

2 TB olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 14oz. can stewed tomatoes
4 cups water
1 14oz. can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen green beans
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1 tsp salt
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp all purpose seasoning (like Mrs. Dash)
2 TB soy sauce
fresh cracked black pepper

Saute onion, celery and garlic in olive oil until soft. Add them to the bottom of the crockpot. Add the rest of the ingredients, give it a stir and set it to LOW for 8 hours.
Option: To add some leafy greens to this soup, saute or steam some chopped chard or kale and add it at the end of the cooking time, right before serving.

3 comments:

aTxVegn said...

I only think about my crockpot in the winter it seems. I just told my sister in Alabama to make this same recipe for our mom who was on her way to visit her. Of course she put meat in it.... But it's so true that no matter what all you throw in a crockpot for soup, it tastes fantastic.

VEGAN TICKLES said...

Crock pots rule.
And as usual your foods always looks delicious.

Jen Treehugger said...

Oh that vegetable Soup looks AMAZING!!
That's right up my street that is!