Monday, November 24, 2008

You Are What You Eat

I don't know how many of you watch this show or have seen this show but it's highly entertaining. In the US it airs on BBC America and each episode focuses on a person or couple who have been going years and years on the worst diet you can imagine: take aways, junk food, foods high in fat, cholestorol, salt and sugar. Gillian McKeith is a nutritionist who comes into their home and gives their diet a complete overhaul with an abundance of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes and nuts and seeds. The couple have to follow her plan for 8 weeks including exercise and usually by the end of it they look healthier, pounds thinner and full of energy. I always feel really virtuous and not so guilty for eating cupcakes when I see what these people eat in an entire week. Because I know for sure that I don't eat half as bad as they do. A segment of the show features the person's entire week's worth of food all laid out on a giant table. It's astounding to see so many burgers, fries, fried foods, take away pizzas, sweets and other stuff all in one place! Usually the person who has eaten all that food looks at it in disgust hardly believing that they consumed such vast quantities of food in only 7 days.

Here's a video I found online. The quality is not great but gives you an idea on what the show is like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvHZ70mwhFY


Anyway, after watching these episodes, I always wonder "What do I eat in an entire week?" I know most of it is sorta healthy but I was curious to see it all in a list so I decided to keep track for a whole 7 days. This is what the list looks like:


1 bowl cheerios w/ 1 cup soymilk
2 shortbread cookies
6 dates
4 apples
2 TB peanut butter
1 wedge veggie pot pie
3 portions pesto spaghetti with veggies
2 bowls oatmeal and raisins and agave syrup
1 banana
1/2 cup Lays chips
2 bulgur pilaf stuffed peppers
1 1/2 portion salad with 1 avocado and poppyseed dressing
2 scoops coconut ice cream
2 whole grain toasts with peanut butter and agave syrup
2 cups green tea
handful of chocolate chips
4 oz. diced pears in syrup
2 pieces tofu fish w/ tartar sauce
1 cup mashed potatoes
1/2 cup canned peas
1 tofu fish sandwich on white bread with tartar sauce, vegenaise and soy cheese
1 cup salad with sesame dressing
1 1/2 bean and rice burritos with hot salsa
handful tortilla chips with salsa
8 oz. coke
1 cup bulgur pilaf
1 tofu fish wrap w. flour tortilla, vegenaise and lettuce
4 baby carrots
2 pieces ginger candy
2 cups cranberry orange juice
3 handfuls Fritos
3 cups rice and indian curry
2 handfuls of grapes
2 tangerines
6 small pancakes w. earth balance margarine and maple syrup
2 gimme lean soy sausage pattys
1 portion kale/chard slaw with peanut sauce
1 small baked sweet potato
1 orange vodka cocktail
5 chili lime wheat puffs
2 cups spaghetti and "meat" sauce
3 slices molasses bread and EB
4 squares Ritter Sport with marzipan

After looking at this list, I'd like to include more fruits and fresh vegetables as opposed to cooked. I don't eat enough salads. Also more whole grains would be nice. There's a lot more white bread, white rice and white flour tortillas in there than I wanted. Lots and lots of carbs!!! Too many.

5 comments:

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

That's a really cool idea!

Gina said...

I love this idea! I'm totally going to do it this week!

VEGAN TICKLES said...

I love that show. I've always wanted to write down everything i eat. You've inspired me.

aTxVegn said...

I don't think that show airs here - rats. I don't know if I want to know how much I really eat. But I like looking at your list!

Jen Treehugger said...

Raj likes it large!
LOL!
That made me giggle.
This is a good idea though - I'm gonna list what I eat in a week and see where there's room for improvement!