Friday, November 21, 2008

"Filet O' (Tofu) Fish Sandwich"

Yesterday was a busy day for me. I was out and about most of the morning running errands and by the time I got back in, I was starving. I was going to have a salad for lunch but something else happened. The previous night I made fried tofu fish and had a few filets left over. I got a brilliant idea to recreate a Filet O' Fish sandwich from that fast food joint that everyone knows and loves (or in my case 'hates'). Yes, at one time in my life I loaded up on Big Macs, Quarter Pounders and Filet O' Fish sandwiches and bunch of other rubbishy crap. I'm glad I no longer do business with joints like them. Here's my version of their "Filet O' Fish".


I didn't have any buns so I used two toasted pieces of white bread (had to go for something non-nutritional to get the same effect). I used extra Vegenaise on the bread along with the tartar sauce. I also melted a slice of Tofutti American soy cheese on top of the tofu fish filets.


This was damngood and really satisfied that craving! Not the healthiest thing because of the fried tofu fish (it was lightly fried in olive oil at least) and all that fatty sauce but at least the tofu part was full of nutrients. I can happily say that this is far healthier than the fast food alternative.

I still had a nice salad afterwards. :)

Note: You will find the recipe for tofu fish filets and tartar sauce here.

8 comments:

Glue and Glitter said...

Wow, that looks amazing!

Meg said...

MMMM that looks REALLY good! I love tartar sauce. :3

Anonymous said...

In all the times I had visited McDonald's, I never once ordered a filet-o'fish sandwich!

LeAnne said...

I use to get cravings for fillet o fish when I ate that nasty shit, Now I crave yours! Must have... MUST HAVE!!!

Jen Treehugger said...

This has totally reminded me to make this.
I managed to get some Nori sheets so I'm gonna use those instead of flaked Seaweed (after they've been through the blender)BUT I still can't get Miso!!
Woe is me.
I'm gonna get some when I'm back in UK for christmas.
I am soooooo craving this meal!!

kmouse said...

Jeni,
Make it anyway without the miso. Just add more salt or soy sauce to compensate. It should still taste good! I think the key to this fish recipe is the steaming of the tofu in the beginning. It does something magical to the texture.

Sarah said...

YUM.

Amy@ blooming tea said...

Wow, looks really delicious, this is my time to see a tofu sandwich. Thanks for the links. Glad to have found your blog.

~Amy