Friday, November 7, 2008

Chickpeas in a Burger.



The good old veggie burger. I love 'em. When I don't feel like eating a highly processed frozen veggie burger (which I do from time to time), I like to make my own. There are so many ways to make them - with various kinds of beans or tofu, grains, nuts, veggies, seasonings and so on. This recipe was supposed to have only red lentils in it but I found that they were too soft to hold up on their own. This is where my beloved chickpeas come in. Great tasting lowfat burger to enjoy in a bun or on a plate with rice and veggies. To go on top of it, I made a quick burger sauce which has all the yummy flavors of your typical burger condiments all in one!

Chickpea and Red Lentil Burgers

3/4 cup split red lentils
1 3/4 cups water
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 14oz. can chickpeas drained and rinsed
handful of cilantro, chopped
1 tsp baking powder
1 TB flour
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp all purpose seasoning (I used Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute)
1/2 tsp paprika
salt and pepper to taste

Burger sauce:
3 TB vegan mayo
2 TB ketchup
1 clove garlic, minced
2 TB finely chopped onion
2 TB chopped dill pickle
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 squirt of lime juice
salt and pepper to taste
pinch of cayenne pepper
Combine all ingredients and chill.

Make the sauce and store in fridge to let the flavors combine. Combine lentils and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until lentils are soft and mushy and water is absorbed. Let cool. Mash chickpeas in a large bowl and add the lentils and the rest of the ingredients. If you find the mixture too wet, add a little more flour or breadcrumbs. Chill mixture in the fridge for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Shape into patties and put them on an oiled baking sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes, flipping burgers over halfway or until browned and dry on the outside (don't worry, they will be tender on the inside!). Variation: You can also fry the patties in oil if you're not worried about the fat content! They will turn out very crisp and really yummy this way too.


I served mine open face on toasted sesame ezekiel bread with lettuce and tomato. It was delicious.

4 comments:

x said...

I love that that these are not fried, I think I will make them for lunch today

Megan said...

Drooooool

aTxVegn said...

Chickpeas with lentils - what a great combo! We have a local place that serves falafel burgers and they are so good.

kmouse said...

mandee,
Take pictures!

megan,
I know!

atxvegn,
Great combo, chickpeas and lentils. Two of my favorite foods.