Monday, November 17, 2008

Pesto Primavera Spaghetti



Excuse the poor flash photo. This was dinner and may I say it was really yummy. I made my spinach lime pesto during the weekend to put on top of pizza so I had a lot leftover to make this. I cooked up some broccoli, swiss chard, red and yellow peppers and tossed them with multigrain spaghetti and the pesto. I added some fresh parsley, black olives and extra olive oil and garlic as well. This was my first try with the Safeway Eating Right brand of multigrain spaghetti and I actually really liked it. It had a good texture and was unlike any whole grain pasta I've had in the past (gross, dense and just yuck.). It also didn't stick together which was quite nice. I think I will buy this from now on instead of regular spaghetti. One day I'd like to try brown rice pasta as well. That just sounds really good to me and so much healthier.

EDIT: Stupid me, I didn't read the packaging at the store and this brand of pasta is NOT VEGAN. It contains egg whites. Damn! Oh well, guess I'll have to find a new brand.

4 comments:

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

I like brown rice pasta (Trader Joe's is good), but my favorite is quinoa pasta. The texture is great, the flavor is great, and it's really healthful. Your pesto primavera looks delicious!

Amey said...

oh shoot. I hate when I accidentally eat something non-vegan. I really like the bionaturae brand of whole wheat spaghetti. The other shapes not so much, as they are firmer and more "whole-wheaty" - but the spag is great!

aTxVegn said...

I bought something nonvegan last week, but I read the ingredients before I ate it and then gave it away. But I hate when I do that! I like quinoa pasta too. My least favorite is corn. Maybe it would be good for Mexican Spaghetti, but not Italian!

Gina said...

My sister in law has a suspected gluten intolerance, so now when I eat at my in-laws she tries her best to make food that is vegan and gluten free. Last time I was there it included brown rice spaghetti. It worked really well with the peanut sauce we were having, but I think the texture would take some getting used to for some other cuisines (namely Italian). Totally worth trying though!