Thursday, January 7, 2010

Broiled Kabob & Quinoa


I just got a great cookbook, 1,000 Vegan Recipes by Robin Robertson. There are so many great things in it that I can't wait to try. I l have a few of Robin's other cookbooks and I really enjoy using them. I love her recipes because they are very straightforward and usually don't call for any hard to find ingredients. I made the vegetable kabob recipe and used tofu instead of seitan and I broiled instead of grilled. The marinade is a wonderful mixture of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic and herbs. They were perfect with a side of fluffy quinoa. Because I like condiments, I served the kabobs with a side of homemade bbq sauce. I adapted the sauce recipe from an old Susan Powter recipe book that I have.



BBQ Sauce

2 tsp. olive oil
1/4 onion, chopped
1 cup tomato juice or V-8
1/2 cup ketchup
3 TB balsamic or apple cider vinegar
1 TB lemon juice
2-3 TB brown sugar
1 TB dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/8 tsp. liquid smoke (optional)

Heat olive oil in a small saucepan. Add onions and saute until soft. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer for about 10 minutes.

1 comment:

Oraphan said...

These kabobs looks absolutely amazing! I really love the idea of using tofu instead of seitan and thanks for the BBQ sauce recipe, YUM!