Wednesday, January 21, 2009

"Cheezy" Broccoli Rice Casserole

I like casseroles. It's a one dish meal with very little mess and cleanup. This recipe is from 'The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook'. I was going for a "golden hue" by adding turmeric but I think I may have added to much as it's quite yellow!






This morning I made a rockin' green smoothie. It was so sweet and beautifully green with little blue speckles. I really enjoyed this one and so did Buster! (Well sort of, he had about a tablespoon. Picky dog!)




Rockin' Green Smoothie

5 dates, pitted
1/2 cup water
1 cup ice
1 ripe banana
handful of frozen blueberries
2 collard leaves, ribs removed (about 2 cups)

Blend dates and water until smooth. Add ice, banana and blueberries. Add a little more water if necessary. Blend until smooth, then add collards and blend until smooth.

8 comments:

Meg said...

MMM I love dates in smoothies!

x said...

Yum! Both the casserole and the smoothie look deeeeelicious!

Dawn said...

I've seen you use the uncheese book several times. I'm curious - do a lot of the recipes contain soy?

The casserole and the smoothie both look great.

kmouse said...

Dawn,
If I remember correctly there quite a few that you need tofu or soymilk.

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

That is a really good casserole! Although, sadly, eating it is how I discovered my sensitivity to nutritional yeast. :(

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks so much like the broccoli-cheese casserole my mom used to make for me when I was a kid. I used to love it. This one is probably a hell of a lot better for you though!

I really have to check out that cookbook.

marciferous said...

Looks amazing; Just got my copy of the Uncheese Cookbook - can't wait to try this!

Gauri Radha गौरी राधा said...

That casserole looks amazing.