Monday, November 23, 2009

Ramen for Dinner.


Found these instant noodles at the Thai market. They are "Long Life" brand and have a three ingredient list that I liked: flour, salt, water. It's a departure from "Top Ramen" or "Maruchan" brand noodles that contain god knows what in them: palm oil, hydrogenated this or that, msg and other fun stuff. Wanted to give these noodles a try and see if they are tasty enough.


See? Ingredients: flour, salt, water. It doesn't say on the package but if you want to boil them in water, it took 5 minutes for them to be cooked. The package comes with 8 bundles of dried noodles. I used 2 bundles.


And they passed the test! They were great with broth, tofu and veggies. Slurp slurp!

QUICK RECIPE:
Heat a small pot of water (about 3-4 cups) on high heat. Add chunks of carrots, onions, tomato, celery, scallions and chopped cilantro. Add 2-4 TB mushroom soy sauce, 1/2 tsp sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Add cubed firm tofu. Bring to a boil and simmer until vegetables are tender. Taste for salt and add more soy sauce as necessary. Cook packaged noodles and drain. Add noodles to a bowl and pour broth over along with vegetable and tofu. Serve!

7 comments:

Heather D. ~ Fresh Brewed Designs said...

I made something similar to this when my daughter was dealing with allergy issues and we had her on a strict diet. I am loving your blog, have been browsing for over an hour. And I am starving!!! :) Thanks for the inspiration and for the boost I was looking for to create more foods my kids can eat!!! YAY!!!

Oraphan said...

These noodles sound great, I've never seen them before. I'll check it out next time I go to Thai market. BTW, we had tofu&veggie soup with buckwheat soba noodles last night, slurp slurp! haha:)

kmouse said...

Heather,
Thanks so much for reading! Glad you are having fun with food for your family. :) Restricted diets should still be full of delicious foods!

Oraphan,
They were very good with broth. You can tell they were not full of crap like hydrogenated oils etc. I love noodles!

Toni @ Imperfect Pregnancy said...

Thanks to this post I realized i haven't had tofu in about two weeks... and now I miss it.

Your meal looks good... and simple.. I love those meals.

I am also now a little bit inspired to try making my own noodles...

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Oh man, that ramen looks awesome!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

YES! I've never seen mushroom soy sauce before, but I've heard it mentioned a lot. Where do you get the stuff?

kmouse said...

Mo,
I find the mushroom soy sauce at asian grocery or specifically thai grocery.