Thursday, November 26, 2009

Giving Thanks.

Over the years on Thanksgiving, my whole family gets together at an aunt's house to celebrate together and eat together. It's usually a gigantic Thai-American potluck and boy, can our family eat! Our family parties last all day and into the night with non-stop eating. It's quite amazing and makes me laugh when I think about it. I won't be partaking this year at the family party because my mom has to work all day today. We decided to have a small dinner tonight for the 5 of us here at home (me, husband, brother, mom and dad). I'll miss seeing my many many cousins but I know that christmas is just around the corner and I will most likely see them at the holiday shindig in December. I'm so grateful to have such a large family who all enjoy being in each other's company and always want the best for each other. I can't imagine not having them in my life. I am thankful for so many things in my life, number one being my family.

So as this is a food bog, on to the food!


I made this Tofu Dinner Loaf last year as well. It's wonderful and bakes up firm and sliceable. I love it with orange herb gravy. Recipe here.


My plate: tofu loaf with orange herb gravy, stuffing (I used the vegetarian stuff in a box, not homemade sorry!), green bean casserole, glazed dijon carrots and mashed potatoes and cranberry/mandarin sauce. All very simple recipes that took no time at all!


The best part of the meal is dessert I think! Here is my favorite vegan pumpkin pie with a spelt crust.


A slice served with maple sweetened cashew cream!!!!! Recipe is here. This cream is unbelievable! I used rice milk instead of the water in the recipe and a little more maple syrup than usual. So freaking creamy and delicious!!!


I also made a VERY EASY AND QUICK puff pastry apple tart. Seriously, all you need to do is slice a few apples and toss them in sugar and lay 'em out on a piece of frozen puff pastry and bake! This was yummy as well.


Here's a bonus pic of my baby. He had a "Thanksgiving Day" flavored dog food today to celebrate.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything looks delicious! I am glad you enjoyed your holiday.

Vic Robinson said...

This looks like a great spread! Yum! I am sure it was better then my day at work! ;)

aTxVegn said...

It's nice to hear about your family and that you're thankful for them. You did a great job on your holiday dinner!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Awesome! That tofu loaf looks super tasty. I love that your family gets together like that. My immediate family lives away from the extended so when we get together it's just us (plus my husband and my sister's husband)...and our dogs. But I'd love to spend it with all my cousins, aunts and uncles!

Toni @ Imperfect Pregnancy said...

Thanks so much for the tofu loaf recipe! I'm going to give that a go in the next few weeks for sure.

Mary said...

Thank you for the link to that maple cashew cream. I can't wait to try it! Your Thanksgiving plate looks amazing.