Sunday, November 22, 2009

Pizza with Daiya Vegan Cheese


Hello melty gooey vegan cheese that is Daiya! Found some shredded Daiya at Whole Foods and decided to make this yummy pizza. It's got tomato sauce seasoned with za'atar, chopped garlic, tomatoes, onions and sliced olives.


This cheese is very melty and to me tastes kind of similar to Follow Your Heart. (I think I might like the taste of FYH better...) I liked it well enough but would not go out of my way to have it on pizza every time. It was nice to have a change from cheeseless pizza.


And to go with my "lounging on the weekend and watching dvds in bed" theme, I brought a tray to my room. I topped the pizza with arugula salad. Also on the tray, homemade baba ganouj/sundried tomato hummus with cucumbers for dipping and a gingerberry kombucha. I enjoyed all of this while watching 'Death on the Nile' which was most excellent!


Later on, I brought tea and dessert to bed. The tea is Cameronian gold blend and dessert was Fabe's chocolate chip cake.


Considering this is a "health food" brand of cake, it was still very moist and sweet enough (it's not sweetened with sugar, but rather barley and chicory syrup).

8 comments:

Emily said...

awesome! it looks so good, so delicious >_<

bridget said...

Yum yum. I also have been following the whole meals in bed trend as of late. I stumbled upon a recipe for pumpkin pizza crust today, so when I decide to try it, I might include a sprinkling of vegan cheese.

Vic Robinson said...

I keep hearing about this cheese...is it really that good? ;)

kmouse said...

HayMarket8,
To be honest, I think it's very similar to Follow Your Heart as far as texture and melty gooeyness but Daiya has a stronger taste and can be a little overwhelming. I want to say I like FYH better but maybe that's because I"m used to it. I think FYH has more of a mozzarella taste. I'll have to eat more Daiya and see what I really think. I've only had it in a sandwich which was really good. The pizza was good but a bit much with the Daiya.

Jen Treehugger said...

Oh amazing looking food and all eaten in bed! How perfect.

The Kuntrageous Vegan said...

how would you rate daiya versus teese?
also. you always have this amazing looking hummus...care to share a recipe?

kmouse said...

I've never had Teese before, only FYH. I think I'll have to give Daiya another go in something else. It was good on the pizza, just a bit...I don't know. There was something missing...mozzarella "flavor" maybe? I'll dip up the hummus recipe I use and sent it to you later!

Oraphan said...

What a great meal in bed! I love the look of the green salad on top of pizza and that yummy cake, they look so inviting, Mmmmm!!!