Monday, November 8, 2010

VeganMoFo: Revamping Lentil Soup into Chickpea-Lentil Fritters


I love turning boring leftovers into a completely different meal the next day. Last night I made a very simple greek style lentil soup (recipe I got from The Olive and The Caper cookbook) and had a bit leftover so I revamped them into fritters that I made into a sandwich. Worked out great.


Here's the soup which was flavored with oregano, thyme and olive oil.



Here are the fritters made into a pita sandwich. I simply drained the leftover soup in a sieve to get all the liquid out and mashed them with cooked chickpeas. I then added chopped onion, cilantro, breadcrumbs and flour to bind the mixture. I shaped them into patties and fried them in grapeseed oil.

12 comments:

bitt said...

So creative!

Vic Robinson said...

That looks likes a big stack of yum!

Jen Treehugger said...

Both look awesome mouse!

mollyjade said...

Those fritters look great!

MeloMeals said...

Awesome! I love the bowl your soup is in.. very pretty.

leftovers are great!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

That soup looks awesome and those fritters look AMAZING!

Claryn said...

Awesome leftover revamping! Seriously, those fritters look fantastic on their own. I'm pretty good at eating leftovers, but I remember in college how the veggies from one meal would get recycled into another meal and finally into a sludgy soup... so I like your actually appetizing upgrade :)

Heidi said...

I never would have thought to drain a left over soup and add some breadcrumbs etc. Genius!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

That is such a great idea! What's the creamy sauce you always have in your pita pictures? Looks so good!

Ty (aka Meccabell) said...

The soup looked great and the fritters look like a must have too!!

Gauri Radha गौरी राधा said...

The pita sandwich looks so appetizing!!