Sunday, November 14, 2010

VeganMoFo: Puff Pastry Calzones and Coconut Cake



This weekend was great. Got to see a good friend from long ago yesterday, went out to a movie with husband today (we saw an excellent documentary called Marwencol) AND I got to make some delicious food.


These calzones were a cinch. I had puff pastry in my freezer that needed to be used as well as 1/2 a tube of Gimme Lean vegan sausage. I cooked it up with onions, garlic, mushrooms, spinach and olives and seasoned with fennel, sage, italian herbs, crushed red pepper and filled puff pastry with the mixture along with Daiya vegan cheese. So freaking good!


Vegans can get excited about vegan cheese again, thanks to Daiya. Melty and gooey. It worked so well in these calzones.


Yesterday I thought to myself "I want coconut cake". I went into the kitchen and 30 minutes later, I had a beautiful snow white frosted cake with delicious coconut flavor! I need to make this more often and maybe do it in layers next time with some kind of lemon filling. Cake recipe here.

4 comments:

Love said...

I want those calzones so bad!

Anonymous said...

I want to eat these!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Those calzones look so damn delicious!

Gauri Radha गौरी राधा said...

I'm dying for a slice of that vegan coconut cake!