Monday, December 14, 2020
Sunday, December 13, 2020
Saturday, December 12, 2020
Hi all! Thanks for your messages I just saw them today. Sorry I’ve been MIA for a while. I was having some difficulty with posting here using the app and I just gave up. Even today’s post the pics are out of order and I can’t fix it! So anyway, I just threw some Rancho Gordo beans in the crockpot. Looking forward to a bowl of brothy beans with hot sauce for dinner.
I do post a lot of food pics on my Instagram if you’d like to follow me there: @kmouse76
Tuesday, October 13, 2020
Saturday, October 10, 2020
One of my favorite desserts, a classic Québécois cake called Pouding Chomeur which translates to “Unemployment pudding” (how appropriate!). It’s basically a white cake with a gooey delicious brown sugar sauce. Here’s the recipe that I veganized from my late mother in law’s recipe.
Vegan Pouding Chomeur
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup water
1 TB vegan margarine (I used Earth Balance)
Add all ingredients to a small saucepan and bring to a boil for 1 minute. Set aside.
1 TB vegan margarine
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 cup soymilk (or other non dairy milk)
With a hand mixer or stand mixer, cream margarine and sugar together. Add vanilla and soymilk. Mix flour, baking powder together in a separate bowl. Add to the rest of the mixture and mix until combined. Pour batter into a greased medium sized glass baking dish. Pour the sauce that you set aside evenly over the top of the batter. It will be watery, don't worry. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes or until top is browned. As it bakes, the cake will rise to the top and the sauce will be underneath.
1 small head of cabbage, shredded or chopped
1 jar of marinara sauce
2 TB olive oil
1 onion chopped
3 cloves garlic chopped
2 ribs celery chopped
1/4 cup each of fresh parsley and cilantro chopped
1 package veggie ground beef (I used Impossible)
1 1/2 cups cooked rice
Salt pepper to taste
Tomato sauce topping:
1 - 14oz can tomato sauce
(Mix in a bowl with garlic powder, salt, pepper, pinch of sugar and dried dill)
1. Preheat oven to 350 f and prepare a casserole dish sprayed with oil.
2. Heat olive oil in a pan on medium heat and sauté onion, garlic and celery until tender. Remove from pan and set aside.
3. In same pan, Cook ground veggie meat in oil and break it up with a wooden spoon. When it’s cooked through, add back the onion/celery, the marinara sauce, herbs and season with salt and pepper and a pinch of sugar. When sauce starts to bubble. add rice and cook for about five more minutes.
5. Prep the tomato sauce. Add a thin layer of the sauce to bottom of the baking dish. Layer a third of the cabbage next and then half of the meat tomato rice mixture. Then cabbage again, then meat tomato rice and end with cabbage on the top layer.
6. Pour the remaining tomato sauce all over the top and spread to cover. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover dish with foil and bake at 350 F for 45 minutes. Remove foil and put it under the broiler for five minutes.