Thursday, January 20, 2011

'Use What You Have' Weeknight Meal.


While at work today I was scanning my pantry and fridge in my mind trying to come up with an idea for supper. I came up with: potatoes, brown rice, cabbage, spinach and beans. So this is what I made with those items. It all came together in about an hour. I cooked up some brown rice first and while that was cooking, I made the potatoes. I sauteed onions and garlic with olive oil and then added cubed red potatoes and a bit of water. I let them cook covered until the potatoes were almost tender. Then I added a couple handfuls each of shredded cabbage (bagged coleslaw) and chopped spinach and seasoned with salt, pepper and Trader Joe's 21 Salute seasoning and let cook a little longer until potatoes were done. For the kidney bean salad, I just tossed the beans with a minced clove of garlic, olive oil, red wine vinegar, dried parsley, salt and pepper and chilled it in the fridge before dinner.

8 comments:

Stefanie said...

It all looks great. I think some of the best meals or the ones that are just thrown together.

crunchyveganwifelife said...

I like to make meals on the fly!
This sounds very comforting to me!

Anonymous said...

I like this kind of meals! I bet it was yummy!

Anonymous said...

Oooh lala, perfect meal for tonight's dinner. I just made some beans last night so I can use them for the bean salad. Thanks for the post!

BTW- I checked out your Etsy shop, it's awesome!

Vampire said...

Looks lovely =)

Vic Robinson said...

I love these types of meals! Always better than they should be.

Anonymous said...

Pantry meals are tha bomb! We had a pantry meal yesterday - roasted sweet potatoes, cabbage, and pasta w/marinara sauce.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Those potatoes look delicious!