Thursday, January 6, 2011

Potato Tacos and Roasted Tomatillo Salsa


My co-worker Cynthia passed down a recipe for potato tacos that her mom makes. I was very eager to try it. It's very simple. You just boil some potatoes until tender, mash them and add finely chopped onions. Season with salt. This is your filling. I wanted my onion cooked so I sauteed them before I added them to the mashed potato mixture. Fill corn tortillas with the potato mixture and pan fry in oil on both sides until crispy and browned.


She also gave me instructions for simple roasted tomatillo salsa. Take about 8 tomatillos, husked and cleaned. Cut them in half, along with 1/2 an onion, a couple of serrano or jalapeno peppers and a few cloves of garlic. Roast everything on a grill pan over medium high heat that has been lined with foil. Char on both sides and then cover/wrap everything with the foil while they cook over heat. Once the tomatillos are charred and soft, place everything in a blender and pulse to desired consistency. Thin with water if needed. Season with salt and pepper.


Mid bite. I also put some tomato salsa and guacamole in them. YUMMY.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to eat these tacos at the moment!

Unknown said...

Potato Tacos? They sound delicous!

I just started a new vegan cooking blog you guys should check out!

http://moreleaflessbeef.blogspot.com/

I'm going to try updating everyday with yummy recipes! Thanks!!

kmouse said...

Lela,
They were so good!

Matthew,
Great blog!

Unknown said...

I make potato tacos with soyrizo. Same idea - boil potatos until tender - in a separate pan saute onions, bellpeppers, garlic, etc. add soyrizo and potatos - thats your filling! So yummy!

Susan G said...

Looks delicious. Do yu fill the tacos and then fry them?

The Kuntrageous Vegan said...

these are definitely going to be dinner tonight. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM.