Friday, February 13, 2009

Detox Week 2, Day 12

Happy Friday the 13th!

I was running low on the fresh vegetables in my fridge so I took a trip to the grocery. This is what I got: (I love lists.) celery, broccoli, cilantro, green leaf lettuce, spinach, carrots, kale, red grapes, minneolas, lemons, fuji apples, red bell peppers, cabbage, bananas, cucumbers, zucchini, frozen strawberries, whole wheat flour, canned tomatoes, more fire-roasted peanuts in the shell and fresh tortilla chips. All this for $36.

Today's eats:


How healthy can I get than starting out my day with a green smoothie? Breakfast was this banana-date-mango-blueberry-collard greens smoothie. Yum.

Lunch was a cup of split pea soup and veggie crudités with a little bit of hummus. No photo.

Snacks: Mid-morning, a brown rice cake with pb and brown rice syrup. After the dog walk, I had an apple.

It's cold, wet and rainy outside and all I wanted for dinner was something warm and comforting. I had to make a curry. I made one that was based on the Chickpea and Tofu Mild Curry from You Are What You Eat. I omitted the tofu and added a can of diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, garam masala, shiitake mushrooms and cauliflower. I pretty much transformed the recipe into something else haven't I? It was pretty good. I have to say that I am not a huge fan of shiitake mushrooms. This was my first time working with them and I found them to be way too strong and their flavor permeated the curry a little too much. I wish I wouldn't have added them in but oh well...the chickpeas were ace!


Very pretty curry. I served this with brown rice and a salad.

So we all know people will be scoffing all kinds of chocolate tomorrow in honor of St. Valentine right? I am not going to be deprived of gooey chocolatey goodness! If I can't have chocolate, than carob will do. I know some do not appreciate the flavor of carob but I happen to like it. I have fond memories of visiting the local health food store with one of my friends after school and we would get these carob ice cream sandwiches. They were good! Today I made a batch of fudge carob brownies made with carob powder, dates, walnuts and vanilla. I was originally going to make Ms. Gillian McKeith's brownies but her recipe required way too many kinds of nuts and seeds that I just didn't have. So I went online and found this recipe that was perfect. I had all the ingredients except for raw carob, I only had roasted carob but it worked in a pinch. I also added a layer of dessicated coconut on top which made them extra special. Such an easy recipe. It's all mixed up in your blender or food processor, spread into a container and placed into the fridge or freezer. I'd say they took me about 10 minutes to make.


I put my container in the freezer to firm them up a bit. The icy coconut is a nice contrast to the gooey fudginess.


Oh my...how fudgy! I did sample two of these bites and I was filled with delight. They are gooey, sweet and very reminiscent of chocolate. I'm in love with these brownies and will be enjoying these through the weekend.

8 comments:

Jen Treehugger said...

Those Brownies look amazing. I've never tried Carob, how weird is that!
Gorgeous looking Curry too!
Happy Valentine's Day!
xx

Dawn said...

mmm....beautiful brownies! Your shopping trip sounds lovely. Don't you love coming home with all that fresh, beautiful stuff?

Anonymous said...

It's funny, I always thought "detox food" was nothing but smoothies and juices. Clearly I was wrong, because so far all of your detox diet food has looked great! I eat closer to this detox diet than I realized.

kmouse said...

Jeni,
You must try the brownie recipe. They are definitely a guilt free treat!

Dawn,
Yes, I always feel great when I have a fridge stocked with fresh veg!

Kiersten,
This "detox" diet for me is cutting out things like processed foods, white rice/pasta/bread/potatoes, sugar, added salt etc as well as incorporating fresh vegetables, fruits and smoothies. Maybe one day I'll do a complete clean detox of raw foods for a few weeks.

x said...

I don't think I'm a fan of shiitake mushies either but the curry looks delish as do your brownie bites, I am so going to make them, thanks for sharing the recipe :)

Unknown said...

This is neat! A non-cooked brownie. Do you have any other recipies that you use that are freezer made?

Curious, do they fall apart when they thaw out? If I make something like this for my job, will they fall apart as they sit out over a period of a few hours? *big grin* If not... I'm trying it!

Your creativity is sooooo coool! You should write a vegan cook book! I'd buy it!

kmouse said...

Shannon,
You don't have to store the brownies in the freezer. That's just my personal preference. You can keep them in the fridge before you take them to work. They should be fine sitting out. They are not particularly firm but rather softish as they are made from mostly dates. But that doesn't stop them from being yummy.

B.A.D. said...

Great post! I love your blog, and I was just wondering if you happened to have a recipe for the curry? It looks fantastic!

Thanks
-B.A.D.