Thursday, August 19, 2010

Chilaquiles Casserole


I was so impressed with the chilaquiles that I made the other day, I wanted to do it again but this time make much more of it. Because I like food in casserole form, I decided to try it that way and bulk it up with more tortilla chips, more sauce and corn kernels. It was so delicious and something that would be an easy weeknight meal. I know that I used a lot of canned stuff here so please feel free to use fresh ingredients if available. I needed dinner quick on the table tonight and I didn't have any fresh produce so I had to resort to my pantry.


We were such in a rush to eat that I forgot to take a photo when it came out of the oven! So here it is after being dug into several times. It doesn't look that bad actually.

Chilaquiles Casserole

2 TB olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 28oz. can diced tomatoes
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1 15oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15oz. can sweet corn, drained and rinsed
tortilla chips
2 cups vegan cheese (I used the cheddar style Daiya vegan cheese)

1. Saute onions, garlic and green pepper in olive oil until soft.
2. Add tomatoes and spices. Bring to a boil and then simmer on Low for about 10-15 minutes.
3. Spray a medium baking dish with oil. Spread a small amount of tomato sauce on the bottom of the dish. Spread a layer of tortilla chips. Add half the beans and half the corn evenly over the chips. Ladle half the sauce and sprinkle half of the cheese. Repeat with another layer of chips-beans-corn-tomato sauce. Save the other half of the cheese for the end.
4. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.
5. Remove foil, turn oven up to 400 degrees F. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top, return to oven and bake uncovered for 5 more minutes or until cheese melts.
6. Serve with avocado chunks and a dollop of Vegenaise or vegan sour cream.

9 comments:

Kristyna Tchir said...

Hey there! I just wanted to say that I have your blog in my Google Reader and I have been following for a few months now. I love your recipes and your constant willingness to try new things! That's so cool.

I really enjoy reading and just wanted you to know!

Thanks for being awesome,
Kristyna

kmouse said...

Hi Kristyna,
Thanks for reading!!!

Jacklyn said...

Wow my boyfriend would love this. I think I'll make this for dinner next week!

Anonymous said...

This dish looks so good. I follow your blog because I just love your cooking style!

Laura said...

You drew me in the other day with your original Chilaquiles, but sold me with the casserole!! I made it for dinner tonight and it was as awesome as it looks!!! YUM!!!! Thanks so much and my husband thanks you, too!! :)

Tee said...

Made this for dinner tonight and it was so, so good! Much better than I even anticipated, thanks for sharing the recipe.

Vic Robinson said...

This looks so comforting! Yum!

Cassie - Vegan Fox said...

Oh man, this looks awesome. We've been hooked on nachos this summer and I think we'll have to give this a go soon.

Lindy said...

I found your blog by doing a google search on vegan blogs. I love your pictures and recipes! I just printed this one - it looks delicious! It'll give me a chance to finally hunt down some Daiya cheese and use it!