Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Black Bean Chilaquiles


I've never made authentic chilaquiles before so I asked one of my coworkers for tips. She gave me a quick rundown and I came home and pretty much followed her instructions. (Though she did say to make a lot of sauce which I should have done!) It was super easy and delicious! I used Daiya vegan cheese which didn't melt well in the skillet so I had to stick it under the broiler at the end. That worked just fine. It was sooo good with some avocado on top. Some of the chips were soaked in the spicy chilaquiles sauce and some were still a bit crispy. Definitely going to make this again.


Simmering the sauce.


Just out of the broiler.

Black Bean Chilaquiles

olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
1 15oz. can diced tomatoes
1 15oz. can black beans, drained
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. oregano
a pinch of sugar
salt to taste
2 cups tortilla chips
2 cups vegan cheese

1. Heat a bit of olive oil in a skillet on medium high heat. Saute onion, garlic and jalapeno for about 5 minutes or until soft.
2. Add tomatoes and half the beans.
3. Stir in spices and simmer on low for 10 minutes.
4. Add tortilla chips, the other half of the beans and cheese. Cover with a lid for 5 minutes. Uncover and transfer to broiler to further melt the cheese.
Note: You can always double the sauce part to make the tortilla chips more soggy-like.

5 comments:

Vic Robinson said...

Looks fantastic! Oh I mentioned you on my most recent blog...I went to a Dodgers game! :)

Jacklyn said...

yum! looks beautiful!

Jennifer said...

A bowl of delicious! This looks sooo good!!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Oh man, that looks SO good!

marciferous said...

Oooo, I already have all these ingredients except the tortilla chips... Must try!