Sunday, April 25, 2010

Greek Gigantes, Lemon-Caper Potato Salad & Baba Ganouj


You don't understand, I crave Mediterranean flavors all the time! Yes, I switch gears and do Thai or Indian and even good old American but when it comes to food that just does it for me, it's this kind of food. I think it's because of the glorious mediterranean climate here in California that gets me in the mood. Today I revisited Greek Gigantes. I made it once before using a recipe I found online. This time I used Diane Kochilas' recipe from "The Greek Vegetarian" cookbook. You're supposed to use authentic greek big beans but large limas do the trick just fine. I also omitted the honey and used a bit of sugar to counterbalance the tartness of the tomatoes. They turned out beautifully creamy and tender and flavored with lots of dill. I also made potato salad with lemon-caper mayo and dill. Also baba ganouj and fresh pita to round out the meal. Husband and I ate together and washed it all down with a cold beer/tomato juice cocktail.

Edited to add a picture of dessert! How could I forget to put this up?

Date cake with vanilla buttercream frosting. All vegan!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum, yum, yum! Everything looks so good!

Stefanie said...

It all looks tasty. There is nothing wrong eating the same types of food often. If it is good why change it up? Now I am wanting to try some Mediterranean food.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

This looks so fantastic. I really need to go grocery shopping because I killed my tahini last month. Mmm!