Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Moroccan Black Bean Stew


You can tell it's fall by looking at my dinner. This is the Moroccan Black Bean Stew recipe from The Vegan Family cookbook. It was so simple to throw together. I added 2 TB of tomato paste and some cumin (which I love!) and I decreased the sugar to 1 tsp. Came out just perfect. Looking back I should have added ras al hanout as well which is a Moroccan spice blend. Next time! This was very warming and tasty served on a bed of rice with a dollop of harissa (North African chili paste) on top. This will also go well with couscous or quinoa.

9 comments:

The Spoon said...

Rice is pretty much a staple in my diet. I could literally eat it every day and hardly ever tire of it. This dish is exactly how I like to eat: rice, accompanied with chunky veggies, some sort of legume(s) spices/herbs, and a bit of a spicy kick. I must make a bowl of this for me later this week!

kmouse said...

Yes you must! Here's another one good on top of rice:
(Cut and paste to your browser)
http://www.americanheart.org/deliciousdecisions/jsp/catalog/recipeDetails.jsp?identifier=3054966&requestFrom=home

vegiebug said...

YUM! I'm starving and that looks absolutely amazing. I love moroccan flavours AND black beans, so this baby is made for me :D

Jenn and Jac @ sketch-free eating said...

Wow! nice and colourful. I recently made black bean stew, I think I'll try this recipe next time.

proud womon said...

i make something similar often... and if you're a potato freak like me it's delicious on mashed potato too!!!

kmouse said...

Proud,
O my gosh, I totally had that idea last night as I was going to bed! I'm making mashed potatoes today!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

That looks great! I really need to get my hands on some harissa

kmouse said...

Mo,
It's so easy to make your own! I would double this recipe.
http://mideastfood.about.com/od/dipsandsauces/r/harissa.htm

Wildheartmuse said...

Made this the other night and my family loved it. My non vegan sister asked for the recipe and sent it to her son!
Thank you for this easy and delicious meal.