Monday, July 6, 2009

Peach Muesli and "Hamburger" Macaroni Dinner.


This is Jamie Oliver's "Pukkolla" muesli with freshly chopped peaches. I looove juicy peaches in summer!


Ok, so this came out of my craving for a childhood favorite "Hamburger Helper". It's funny because I don't really remember what it tasted like. Was it as good as I thought it was? Anyway, I went online and found a recipe for a dry seasoning mix that I adapted and used to flavor my dish. You'll see in the recipe below. I do have to say that this dish wasn't as "saucy" as I wanted it to be. Maybe next time I need to add more liquid or tomato sauce or something. But it was tasty and very very filling.

EDITED TO ADD:
I still wanted the macaroni to be saucier so when I came home from work I made up a quick thickened sauce of tomato sauce, water, ketchup and soy sauce and dunked the pasta back in to simmer for a few minutes. The result was much much better. I've edited the recipe to include these few extra ingredients.


Much saucier wouldn't you say? It was delicious. My brother came over and I served some to him. He ate two big bowls of it!

"Hamburger" Macaroni Dinner

1 cup dry textured vegetable protein (tvp) rehydrated with 1 cup hot water in a bowl, set aside. (or you may use a bag of Morningstar Grillers Frozen Crumbles -no need to rehydrate)
13 oz. macaroni
2 TB olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 a large green pepper, chopped
1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
3 TB dry seasoning mix (Recipe at bottom of post)
1 tsp chili powder
1-14oz. can diced tomatoes with juice
2-8oz. cans tomato sauce
2 1/4 cups hot water
2 tsp red miso paste
2 TB soy sauce
1 TB ketchup
1 tsp cornstarch mixed with a little cold water to dissolve

Cook macaroni in water per package directions. Meanwhile...

Heat oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Saute onions, garlic and green pepper for a few minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until vegetables are tender. Add the hydrated TVP and then add dry seasoning mix and chili powder. Stir to combine seasonings and tvp. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and hot water. Bring to a boil while stirring. Add miso paste, soy sauce and ketchup and stir to dissolve. Add cornstarch/water mixture to thicken. Lower heat to simmer for about 5-6 minutes. When sauce is thickened, add cooked and drained macaroni to it and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper and let simmer for a few more minutes.

Here's my adapted dry seasoning mix recipe:

1 1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 Tbs. garlic powder
2 Tbs. dried parsley
3 Tbs. onion powder
1 Tbs. salt
3 1/2 Tbs. veggie bouillon powder (or you can use nutritional yeast)
2 tsp italian seasoning
1 tsp paprika

9 comments:

Tara said...

I also get the occasional craving for Hamburger Helper, so this is a great recipe! And those peaches look divine!

Anonymous said...

mmm both of these look incredible! i especially love the look of that hamburger helper which i used to eat all the time when I was younger.

Michal

veggievixen said...

i'm pretty sure that it's nasty. unless you're used to processed food, i think. i recently tasted swedish fish again, which i LOVED as a child, and they were so disgusting. lol.

anyway i love that you made your own version of this. second one definitely look saucier!

um, yeah, peaches. they rock.

Jen Treehugger said...

YUM!!!
This looks soooo good mouse!

vegan.in.brighton said...

That hamburger macaroni looks awesome.

I Am Gluten Free said...

Hi Vegan Mouse,

Yesterday morning, as soon as I saw this post and before leaving for a three day trip (to a house that isn't gluten free but where I can cook/prepare food etc.), I decided to make your Hamburger Macaroni Dinner. It is SO good and I know will be a staple in our menu rotation. We are having it for dinner tonight along with gluten free Tinkayada Brown Rice Pasta (shells). Thank you so much!

Colleen said...

We made this tonight and it was great! Perfect comfort food. Thanks for an excellent recipe!

kmouse said...

I am Gluten Free & Colleen,
So glad the recipe turned out well for you!

Stefanie said...

I made the "Hamburger" Mac Dinner tonight for my lunch tomorrow. It tastes really good. I have not had the real version of this so I do not have anything to compare it to. It will be really good over pasta tomorrow. I think your seasoning blend is what made the difference. I look forward to trying more of your recipes.