Sunday, September 7, 2008

Uh oh, football season is here. (Let's talk game food!)

Am I right? I'm not a follower of football but my husband got up real early today to go to his buddy's house to watch a Patriots game. Around this time of year, it's an obsession for him and I kind of think he wants me to get into it too. Sorry buddy, baseball is as far as I will go! (But who doesn't freaking love baseball????)

Yeah so anyway, there will probably be many Sundays (or is it Mondays?) where there will be a game on tv and snacks on the coffee table. I don't mind hanging around if there are yummy snacks to nibble on. I've got some perfect foods that I like to enjoy when the game is on.



Artichoke Spinach Dip. This dip is baked in the oven and comes out all hot and bubbly, ready to be spread on crackers. Yum. (Recipe at the end of this post.)


Good old nachos. Vegans like me can have them too! I like to put all kinds of stuff in there. Nacho Cheez (recipe from the Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook), refried beans, red onions, jalapenos in escabeche, Vegenaise mixed with lime and chili powder, guacamole and salsa. Who can pass up these nachos?


Hot Wingz! These are tempeh wings, a recipe I got from the Don't Eat Off The Sidewalk blog.


Mini pita pizzas! These are so easy to make as you don't have to make your own pizza dough or anything like that. Take a pita bread or two, smear it with spaghetti or pizza sauce, top with your favorite veggies and heat in the oven for about 5-10 minutes. These here have sauteed cremini mushrooms, garlic and red onions, fresh tomatoes, basil and a sprinkling of nutritional yeast.


Something a little more substantial. A Boca Chik'n sandwich with bbq sauce and a side of Thai coleslaw.


I like to end it all with a nice refreshing fruit salad of strawberries, melon, plums, bananas and peaches.

Recipe:

Artichoke Spinach Dip

1 container Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese (I find this at Trader Joe's, Ralphs Market and Whole Foods Market)
1 cup Vegenaise
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 14 oz can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1 10 oz box frozen spinach, thawed, drained and chopped
1/2 cup sundried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped
2 TB nutritional yeast (optional)
2 TB lemon juice
1/2 tsp italian herbs
salt and pepper

Combine all ingredients and pour into a baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees F until browned and bubbly.

4 comments:

LeAnne said...

I'm not big on football, but I'm big of tasty eats and thems be some mighty fine lookin' eats there darlin.

Anonymous said...

I'm also the biggest anti-jock, but I might have a football party over here, just so I can eat all that gorgeous food! Seriously.

Leslie Richman said...

What a great post! My boyfriend is a football man during the season too (he is giddy that he just got a 1 foot tall Saints player PEZ dispenser that talks- heheheh!) and he is doing nachos every time a game is on. I can't wait to surprise him with these ideas!

Carrie said...

Those are the King of all vegan nachos. I am insanely jealous.