Saturday, September 13, 2008

Thai Green Curry & Bonus birthday cupcakes.



I've said this before and I'll say it again: I LOVE curries. I'm from a Thai background so we like our curry. This one in particular. It's a spicy green curry made from green curry paste and creamy coconut milk. You can find these tinned curry pastes at asian groceries. They come in many different flavors: red, green, masaman, karee, etc...
When you buy these, make sure they don't contain shrimp or fish paste. Some of them do so you have to be careful. Here is the one I used by Maesri brand.






You must eat this curry with hot jasmine rice!

Thai Green Curry with Veggies and Tofu

2 TB canola oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ginger, minced
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
1 carrot, sliced
1 TB green curry paste (this is spicy so use as little or much as you like - store the leftover paste in a little ziploc bag in the freezer)
2 cans coconut milk
2 cups broccoli florets
1 small red pepper, diced
1 zucchini, sliced
1 package extra-firm tofu, drained and cubed
2 TB soy sauce
2 tsp sugar
juice of one large lime


Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add onions, garlic and ginger. Saute for a while until onions are browned and a bit soft. Add potatoes, carrots and green curry paste. Stir around to coat, then add coconut milk and stir. Bring to a boil. Add broccoli, red pepper and zucchini. Add soy sauce, sugar and lime juice. Lower heat to medium low. Add tofu cubes. Cover and simmer for about 15-20 minutes or so or until potatoes are thoroughly cooked. Serve over hot rice.

****
Yesterday's post got me inspired to make Mexican Chocolate Cupcakes. These are for my friends for their birthday celebration tonight. I frosted them with vanilla buttercream and dusted them with cocoa powder.

5 comments:

Destiny's Kitchen said...

Looks good. I have that same wine (Novella)! I even saved the bottle because I thought it was so pretty.

Thanks for saying what to do with the extra curry paste. I always wonder how long it's safe in the fridge, but now I'll just pop it in the freezer!

LeAnne said...

Oh my gosh. That looks SO good! If I didn't just eat dinner a little while ago I'd be jonzin' for exactly this! I think I'll have to go right ahead and make it soon!

LeAnne said...

Hey! What buttercream frosting did you use because I made mine from vctow and the frosting ran really bad on the cupcakes even though it has been HOURS since I took them out of the oven. My failure irritated me. :o\

kmouse said...

leanne,
I used the fluffy vanilla buttercream from vctotw. Not sure what could have went wrong...maybe the margarine was too soft? Or not enough powdered sugar?

ash said...

YUM!!!!