Saturday, November 27, 2010

VeganMoFo: Survey! Survey!


Yanked this from Mo's blog.


What is one food you thought you’d miss when you went vegan, but don’t?
Cheese. I used to love it but now I can live without it. There are some good vegan substitutes now. When I feel the need, I get some Daiya or Follow Your Heart vegan cheese for pizzas and lasagnas, etc.

What is a food or dish you wouldn’t touch as a child, but enjoy now?
Eggplant big time. I used to not like it at all. But when I went veggie, I found so many ways to make it interesting. My undying love for middle eastern food has rewarded me with some beautiful eggplant dishes.

What vegan dish or food you feel like you “should” like, but don’t?
Seitan. I've made it a few times and I liked it ok. There are times I hated it. I just can't get over the sometimes rubbery-ness of it. I don't mind eating it at restaurants if they can make it well. Otherwise I don't bother.

What dish are you “famous” for making or bringing to gatherings?
My spinach artichoke dip.

Do you have any self-imposed food rules (like no food touching on the plate or no nuts in sweets)?
No not really.

What’s one food or dish you tend to eat too much of when you have it in your home?
Sweets! I can sit there and think about a cake and then go in the kitchen have it ready in 30 minutes flat whenever I feel like and that is a dangerous thing.

What ingredient or food do you prefer to make yourself despite it being widely available prepackaged?
Cookies and Cakes. I know there are vegan desserts out there but I'd rather make them myself. Also homemade salsa and refried beans are the best.

What ingredient or food is worth spending the extra money to get “the good stuff”?
Vegenaise which is the best vegan mayo out there. It's not that expensive though.

Are you much of a snacker? What are your favorite snacks?
Yeah I like snacks. I splurge on plain potato chips every now and then.

What are your favorite vegan pizza toppings?
Mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, garlic, olives, onions.

What is your favorite vegetable? Fruit?
Potato. Cantaloupe.

What is the best salad dressing?
I like to whip up a quick one of olive oil, dijon mustard, garlic, red wine vinegar/or balsamic, salt and pepper.

What is your favorite thing to put on toasted bread?
Heinz beans! Earth Balance margarine. Fruit jam especially fig or blueberry.

What kind of soup do you most often turn to on a chilly day or when you aren’t feeling your best?
Lately it has been Manestra, a greek orzo and tomato soup. It's so good and easy to make.

What is your favorite cupcake flavor? Frosting flavor?
chocolate with vanilla frosting.

What is your favorite kind of cookie?
Molasses.

What is your most-loved “weeknight meal”?
Some kind of macaroni pasta with roasted vegetables or potatoes on the side.

What is one dish or food you enjoy, but can’t get anyone else in your household to eat?
LENTILS!

How long, in total, do you spend in the kitchen on an average day?
An hour maybe.

No comments: