Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Oatmeal & Buckwheat Healthy Cookies



I was in a baking mood last night at 8pm and made these on the fly. I wanted a somewhat healthy, hearty cookie and decided to use up the buckwheat flour that was hanging out in the fridge. I basically took a vegan oatmeal raisin cookie recipe and switched out the white flour for buckwheat. I definitely need to tweak this recipe because the cookies were very fragile and tended to fall apart if you pick them up. I added a bunch of healthy stuff like walnuts, almonds, sesame seeds, cranberries, sultanas and dark raisins. They're tasty but need work.

3 comments:

Bethany said...

Hi Kim - those cookies sound really good - I'm guessing they fell apart because buckwheat is gluten-free. They might have done better with a little wheat flour mixed in to help them stay together. They sound really promising though, and I love healthy cookies!

Vic Robinson said...

Looks great! My dad used to make me buckwheat pancakes when I was a kid. Maybe Beth is right, gluten may help.

Danie said...

Try using overripe bananas to help glue them cookies tight. If you want to avoid gluten that is.