Wednesday, October 22, 2008

VeganMoFo: Scrambled "Egg" Sandwich and A Survey.



Before I was vegan I used to make scrambled eggs, pop a couple toasts, slather them with lots of mayonnaise and ketchup, plop some scrambled eggs in between the toasts and eat that for breakfast. It was comfort food for me and so dang good. I got the craving for this last night and so I made a scrambled tofu "egg" sandwich which was just as good if not better than the original! It's also healthier, with no cholestorol and has the added benefits of soy. I added sauteed onions and a little chopped tomato to my scrambled tofu. Everything else was the same: white toast, mayo (Vegenaise of course), and ketchup! Yummy, yummy. My husband watched me eat this and said "That looks very egg-like."


Not the best lighting for a photo but you get the idea.


All closed up and ready to eat. It's a very messy sandwich but I think that might be the best part. A basic recipe for scrambled tofu can be found here. You can add or subtract any vegetable you like.

*******On to the survey!********

Survey by jdfunks at the PPK forums aka Jess from Get Sconed!

1. What was the most recent tea you drank?
A lovely dark red herbal fruity iced tea at The Veggie Grill.

2. What vegan forums do you post/lurk on? If so, what is your username? Spill!
postpunkkitchen forums, my username is kmouse

3. You have to have tofu for dinner, and it has be an Italian dish. What comes to mind first?
Lasagna, I would use the tofu for the "ricotta".

4. How many vegan blogs do you read on an average day?
I always read Vegan Dad, eat'n veg'n and Fat Free Vegan. And there are plenty others I read too just those three I never miss.

5. Besides your own, what is the most recent one you’ve read?
Vegan Dad's

6. If you could hang out with a vegan blogger that you haven’t met, who would it be, and what would you do?
I'd love to hang out with Diann from eat'n veg'n so I can get a chance to enjoy all those delicious veggie-ful dishes she makes. They always look so beautiful and healthy. I would like to cook the way she does. And of course, she seems like a very lovely lady as well! I'd also like to go cookbook shopping with her. :)

7. If you had to base your dinners for a week around one of the holy trilogy – tofu, seitan or tempeh, which would it be?
Definitely tofu. (Can you tell by the food post above?) I like tempeh and I enjoy seitan in small amounts.

8. If you had to use one in a fight, which would it be?
Probably the seitan because it's not my favorite and I wouldn't mind wasting it.

9. Name 3 meals you’d realistically make with that tough protein of choice!
Tofu Fish n Chips, Thai Red Curry with Tofu and Veggies, Joni's Tofu Egg Salad


Tofu Fish n Chips

10. What’s a recipe in vegan blogland that you’ve been eyeing?
Most of what Diann from eat'n veg'n makes. Once she made a "Breakfast Hippie Pizza" which had a tempeh sausage gravy base and was topped with fresh sliced tomato, green onions, seasoned crumbled tofu, and fresh parsley. Then she added alfalfa sprouts and pumpkin seeds after it was cooked. I would normally never eat something like this but she made it look so good!

11. Do you own any clothing with vegan messages/brands on them?
I don't actually, just a lot of band t shirts.

12. Have you made your pilgrimage to the 'vegan mecca' yet? (Portland, duh)
Not yet. I want to go so bad.

13. What age did you first go vegan? Did it stick?
I went vegan on Jan. 1, 2007. I was 30. A year and 9 months have passed and I'm still here!

14. What is the worst vegan meal you’ve had? Who cooked it?
The "Iron Yam" salad at Native Foods. It was a split yam stuffed with salad greens and cubes of bland tofu. I didn't like it at all. Everything else on their menu is wonderful though.

15. What made you decide to blog?
Everyone else was doing it and I thought "I could do that too!" as I am always cooking.

16. What are three of your favorite meals to make?
1. Channa Masala
2. Falafel
3. Enchiladas


Enchiladas

17. What dish would you bring to a vegan Thanksgiving-themed potluck?
A sheperd's pie and a pumpkin pie.


Sheperd's Pie

18. Where is your favorite vegan meal at a restaurant? How many times have you ordered it?
Hmm...When I go to Native Foods I always get the Native Reuben sandwich. It is heavenly. It's got fried blackened tempeh, cashew "cheez", sauerkraut and thousand island dressing. I've ordered it maybe 3-4 times. It feels so greasy and bad for you but it's not.


This is not my photo. It's ruby red vegan's. Just had to show you how good this reuben sandwich looks.

19. What do you think the best chain to dine as a vegan is?
Native Foods is great, The Veggie Grill, any Thai Vegan place like The Vegan Joint and California Vegan...Real Food Daily is good too but a little expensive.
Those aren't really chain restaurants are they? If you mean like fast food chain then I'd have to say...Chipotle! Their veggie burrito is great.

20. My kitchen needs...
a new blender, more cool looking dishes for my blog pics.


I want this. Anyone have $449 I can borrow?

21. This vegetable is not allowed in my kitchen!
I like all vegetables except bean sprouts!

22. What's for dinner tonight?
Don't know yet!

23. Add a question here!
Do any non vegetarians read my blog???? Please comment, I'd like to know. :)

3 comments:

aTxVegn said...

Wow, thanks so much for all your nice compliments about my blog! I'll come back often and see what you're cooking up. You really should make yourself a hippie pizza :)

Anonymous said...

i looove your bloggg! I've been a vegetarian since 6th grade but I just went vegan a few months ago, and it's really nice to see how you can translate normal comfort foods and guilty pleasures into vegan-friendly meals. I love all things condiment-related (bbq sauce, ketchup, mmmm) so the mention of those things adds to my enjoyment when I'm reading your blog. In reference to your post, I've gotten my mom into reading your blog (as well as a few other vegetarian/vegan blogs)! She is an omni and doesn't really understand my vegan choices, so I sent here some blog links to see how yummy it can be and she is hooked! She hasn't gone vegetarian by any means, but she eats sooo many more plant-based foods and a lot less of the animal products now. So, thank you!

kmouse said...

megan,
Thanks so much for checking out my blog and spreading the word to family members. A lot of the reason why I started this blog was to help omnis understand that the food I make can be delicious as well as animal free. I also live in a house of omnis and I try to make vegan versions of what they eat so that includes lots of old favorites and comfort type foods. Thanksgiving is going to be great. :) Happy Holidays!
Kim