Before I was vegan I used to make scrambled eggs, pop a couple toasts, slather them with lots of mayonnaise and ketchup, plop some scrambled eggs in between the toasts and eat that for breakfast. It was comfort food for me and so dang good. I got the craving for this last night and so I made a scrambled tofu "egg" sandwich which was just as good if not better than the original! It's also healthier, with no cholestorol and has the added benefits of soy. I added sauteed onions and a little chopped tomato to my scrambled tofu. Everything else was the same: white toast, mayo (Vegenaise of course), and ketchup! Yummy, yummy. My husband watched me eat this and said "That looks very egg-like."
Not the best lighting for a photo but you get the idea.
All closed up and ready to eat. It's a very messy sandwich but I think that might be the best part. A basic recipe for scrambled tofu can be found here. You can add or subtract any vegetable you like.
1. What was the most recent tea you drank? A lovely dark red herbal fruity iced tea at The Veggie Grill.
2. What vegan forums do you post/lurk on? If so, what is your username? Spill! postpunkkitchen forums, my username is kmouse
3. You have to have tofu for dinner, and it has be an Italian dish. What comes to mind first? Lasagna, I would use the tofu for the "ricotta".
4. How many vegan blogs do you read on an average day? I always read Vegan Dad, eat'n veg'n and Fat Free Vegan. And there are plenty others I read too just those three I never miss.
5. Besides your own, what is the most recent one you’ve read? Vegan Dad's
6. If you could hang out with a vegan blogger that you haven’t met, who would it be, and what would you do? I'd love to hang out with Diann from eat'n veg'n so I can get a chance to enjoy all those delicious veggie-ful dishes she makes. They always look so beautiful and healthy. I would like to cook the way she does. And of course, she seems like a very lovely lady as well! I'd also like to go cookbook shopping with her. :)
7. If you had to base your dinners for a week around one of the holy trilogy – tofu, seitan or tempeh, which would it be? Definitely tofu. (Can you tell by the food post above?) I like tempeh and I enjoy seitan in small amounts.
8. If you had to use one in a fight, which would it be? Probably the seitan because it's not my favorite and I wouldn't mind wasting it.
9. Name 3 meals you’d realistically make with that tough protein of choice! Tofu Fish n Chips, Thai Red Curry with Tofu and Veggies, Joni's Tofu Egg Salad
Tofu Fish n Chips
10. What’s a recipe in vegan blogland that you’ve been eyeing? Most of what Diann from eat'n veg'n makes. Once she made a "Breakfast Hippie Pizza" which had a tempeh sausage gravy base and was topped with fresh sliced tomato, green onions, seasoned crumbled tofu, and fresh parsley. Then she added alfalfa sprouts and pumpkin seeds after it was cooked. I would normally never eat something like this but she made it look so good!
11. Do you own any clothing with vegan messages/brands on them? I don't actually, just a lot of band t shirts.
12. Have you made your pilgrimage to the 'vegan mecca' yet? (Portland, duh) Not yet. I want to go so bad.
13. What age did you first go vegan? Did it stick? I went vegan on Jan. 1, 2007. I was 30. A year and 9 months have passed and I'm still here!
14. What is the worst vegan meal you’ve had? Who cooked it? The "Iron Yam" salad at Native Foods. It was a split yam stuffed with salad greens and cubes of bland tofu. I didn't like it at all. Everything else on their menu is wonderful though.
15. What made you decide to blog? Everyone else was doing it and I thought "I could do that too!" as I am always cooking.
16. What are three of your favorite meals to make? 1. Channa Masala 2. Falafel 3. Enchiladas
17. What dish would you bring to a vegan Thanksgiving-themed potluck? A sheperd's pie and a pumpkin pie.
18. Where is your favorite vegan meal at a restaurant? How many times have you ordered it? Hmm...When I go to Native Foods I always get the Native Reuben sandwich. It is heavenly. It's got fried blackened tempeh, cashew "cheez", sauerkraut and thousand island dressing. I've ordered it maybe 3-4 times. It feels so greasy and bad for you but it's not.
This is not my photo. It's ruby red vegan's. Just had to show you how good this reuben sandwich looks.
19. What do you think the best chain to dine as a vegan is? Native Foods is great, The Veggie Grill, any Thai Vegan place like The Vegan Joint and California Vegan...Real Food Daily is good too but a little expensive. Those aren't really chain restaurants are they? If you mean like fast food chain then I'd have to say...Chipotle! Their veggie burrito is great.
20. My kitchen needs... a new blender, more cool looking dishes for my blog pics.
I want this. Anyone have $449 I can borrow?
21. This vegetable is not allowed in my kitchen! I like all vegetables except bean sprouts!
22. What's for dinner tonight? Don't know yet!
23. Add a question here! Do any non vegetarians read my blog???? Please comment, I'd like to know. :)
Why, yummy food of course! As a vegan who does not eat meat, fish, eggs and dairy, I get asked this question hundreds of times. I plan to fill the contents of this blog with the answer to that question and to prove that vegan cuisine is full of variety, flavor and abundance.