Sunday, September 28, 2008

Vegetable Chowder



I made vegetable chowder today because I needed to get rid of some produce that I had hanging out in the fridge. This came out really nice, fairly creamy and tasty!

Vegetable Chowder

2 TB olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 celery rib, sliced
1 cup frozen corn
2 cups vegetable broth
2 small red potatoes, diced
1 medium zucchini, diced
1 carrot, sliced
1 cup plain soymilk
1-2 tsp cornstarch
pinch of nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in a soup pot on high. Saute onions, bell pepper and celery until softened. Add corn and stir for a few minutes. Add broth, potatoes, zucchini and carrot and bring to a boil. Lower heat and cover for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add soymilk and continue to simmer. At this point, I like to break down the potatoes a bit by mashing some of them with a wooden spoon to make the soup thicker. To thicken it a litt more, dissolve the cornstarch in a little water and then add slowly to soup and then bring it to a boil for 1 minute. Add nutmeg and season with salt and pepper and let simmer until heated through.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes! I have all the ingredients! Woohoo.

Mama Veggie said...

Wow, amazing recipe! My daughter made this for dinner tonight and there were no leftovers. This will definitely become part of the regular menu plan. Thank you!

Mini Veg said...

Thanks so much for the recipe. I made this food on my night to cook and it was soo good that the next week I made it again along side my other food. I really love all the food recipes you have here.