Saturday, September 13, 2008

Thai Green Curry & Bonus birthday cupcakes.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: I LOVE curries. I'm from a Thai background so we like our curry. This one in particular. It's a spicy green curry made from green curry paste and creamy coconut milk. You can find these tinned curry pastes at asian groceries. They come in many different flavors: red, green, masaman, karee, etc...
When you buy these, make sure they don't contain shrimp or fish paste. Some of them do so you have to be careful. Here is the one I used by Maesri brand.

You must eat this curry with hot jasmine rice!

Thai Green Curry with Veggies and Tofu

2 TB canola oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ginger, minced
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
1 carrot, sliced
1 TB green curry paste (this is spicy so use as little or much as you like - store the leftover paste in a little ziploc bag in the freezer)
2 cans coconut milk
2 cups broccoli florets
1 small red pepper, diced
1 zucchini, sliced
1 package extra-firm tofu, drained and cubed
2 TB soy sauce
2 tsp sugar
juice of one large lime

Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add onions, garlic and ginger. Saute for a while until onions are browned and a bit soft. Add potatoes, carrots and green curry paste. Stir around to coat, then add coconut milk and stir. Bring to a boil. Add broccoli, red pepper and zucchini. Add soy sauce, sugar and lime juice. Lower heat to medium low. Add tofu cubes. Cover and simmer for about 15-20 minutes or so or until potatoes are thoroughly cooked. Serve over hot rice.

Yesterday's post got me inspired to make Mexican Chocolate Cupcakes. These are for my friends for their birthday celebration tonight. I frosted them with vanilla buttercream and dusted them with cocoa powder.


Destiny's Vegan Kitchen said...

Looks good. I have that same wine (Novella)! I even saved the bottle because I thought it was so pretty.

Thanks for saying what to do with the extra curry paste. I always wonder how long it's safe in the fridge, but now I'll just pop it in the freezer!

LeAnne said...

Oh my gosh. That looks SO good! If I didn't just eat dinner a little while ago I'd be jonzin' for exactly this! I think I'll have to go right ahead and make it soon!

LeAnne said...

Hey! What buttercream frosting did you use because I made mine from vctow and the frosting ran really bad on the cupcakes even though it has been HOURS since I took them out of the oven. My failure irritated me. :o\

kmouse said...

I used the fluffy vanilla buttercream from vctotw. Not sure what could have went wrong...maybe the margarine was too soft? Or not enough powdered sugar?

ash said...