Thursday, December 3, 2015

Perfect Roast Potatoes and Other Stuff.

I was in the mood for roast veggies last night so I rushed home from work and made the following: roast potatoes, roast carrots and Tofurky sausages and gravy. I wanted to make perfect roast potatoes so I consulted Jamie Oliver's book The Ministry Of Food. I borrowed a UK copy from my neighbor but if you go on amazon I think the US title is Food Revolution. So anyway, Jamie says to parboil the veg in water for 5-7 minutes and then let the spuds steam in the colander for 2 minutes after they are drained. Then you shake up the colander to bash the spuds a bit so the edges get kind of fluffy which makes them get all nice and crisp in the oven. Then you prepare a baking pan with a few glugs of olive oil, smashed garlic and fresh rosemary. Toss the spuds in the flavored oil, spread in the pan and roast at 425 F for about an hour. I took mine out after 40 minutes because I was in a rush and they were very well cooked and crisp. If I had left them the full hour, they would have been more perfect and crispier I suppose. But even at 40 minutes, they were delicious!!!! I will make roast potatoes this way from now on (and roast for the full hour).


I love you roast potatoes. My husband and I ate a lot and had the rest for lunch today.


Roast carrots, plain and simple.


Also a Tofurky sausage and canned peas. The gravy is my Thanksgiving orange herb gravy. The best.


Condiments are always a part of my dinner table.

3 comments:

Beverlee said...

If I ever win the lottery, I want to hire you as my personal chef. Take THAT, Oprah!

Jenny said...

Perfect roast potatoes are an art form, and these look delicious! I take Nigella's cue and also toss mine in a little uncooked polenta before the final roast. Wonderful crispy edges :)

Hillary said...

Those potatoes look delicious! I will have to try that method. Condiments are definitely a must!