Thursday, December 12, 2013

One Pot Chili Mac with Soy Chunks.


Not a great pic but if only you could taste this. I really enjoyed this hearty one pot meal. I do love throwing things in a pot and walking away. Works best on weeknights. I've made this a few times before and copied and pasted my recipe below with additions and substitutions in brackets. I added soy chunks to this which made it so meaty. Because I used them, I needed to add more water. If you feel it is drying out too much, feel free to add a little more boiling water to keep it moist and saucy.

One Pot Chili Mac
3 TB olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1/2 a large green bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 TB tomato paste (I used 4 TB today for more sauciness.)
2 TB chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 TB chopped chipotle peppers (I added this today.)
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups dry elbow macaroni pasta
2 1/2 cups boiling water (you may need about 1 cup more if you're adding soy chunks)
1 jar of spaghetti sauce, any kind (I subbed 1 can diced tomatoes and 1 can tomato sauce today.)
1 14oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed (I used black beans today.)
1 1/2 cups soy chunks

In a large pot on medium high, heat olive oil and saute the onion, bell pepper and garlic until veggies get fairly soft. Add tomato paste and spices and stir to coat veggies in spices. Add the macaroni, boiling water, soy chunks, spaghetti sauce and turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Add kidney beans and stir. Lower heat to medium and cover. Cook for about 10 minutes and then stir pasta to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pot. Cover again and cook for another 7 minutes. Remove lid and stir for 3 minutes or so to make sure pasta doesn't stick to bottom of the pot. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

2 comments:

vegan.in.brighton said...

Any kind of mac is a winner in my book and this sounds super delicious.

Corrin Radd said...

Made this today. Yummy thanks!