Monday, October 17, 2011

Moroccan Lentil Stew and Homemade Harissa


I love to throw stuff in a pot and call it dinner. This is what happened tonight after a long day at work. I've made this before using this recipe, but this time I took some liberties and used red instead of brown lentils, and added other veggies like corn and zucchini. On top there is a blob of North African style chili paste, also known as "harissa". I love to eat this stew on top of rice. Lentils and rice. You can't go wrong.


I must have been anticipating a Moroccan/North African flavor because I made the harissa over the weekend. I used New Mexico and Japones dried chilies, LOTS of garlic, mint, coriander, caraway, cumin and olive oil. It is SO FREAKING GOOD.

2 comments:

Jes said...

What an awesome lentil stew!

Zoa said...

Ooh, I make my own harissa too, but have not yet posted about it. You beat me to it! It is indeed SO FREAKING GOOD (though hot hot hot, I always forget how hot it is until I dump a tablespoon into some stew calibrated for one).

Gorgeous photo of the whole dish...