Monday, October 17, 2011

Moroccan Lentil Stew and Homemade Harissa

I love to throw stuff in a pot and call it dinner. This is what happened tonight after a long day at work. I've made this before using this recipe, but this time I took some liberties and used red instead of brown lentils, and added other veggies like corn and zucchini. On top there is a blob of North African style chili paste, also known as "harissa". I love to eat this stew on top of rice. Lentils and rice. You can't go wrong.

I must have been anticipating a Moroccan/North African flavor because I made the harissa over the weekend. I used New Mexico and Japones dried chilies, LOTS of garlic, mint, coriander, caraway, cumin and olive oil. It is SO FREAKING GOOD.


Jes said...

What an awesome lentil stew!

Zoa said...

Ooh, I make my own harissa too, but have not yet posted about it. You beat me to it! It is indeed SO FREAKING GOOD (though hot hot hot, I always forget how hot it is until I dump a tablespoon into some stew calibrated for one).

Gorgeous photo of the whole dish...