Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Rice Lentil Tomato Soup


I'm known as the queen of revamping leftovers. My mom told me one day that I am just like her father who loved to make 4-5 meals out of one dish. I've never gone that far but I do love a challenge when it comes to making a new dish out of a mountain of leftovers. I made moujadara on Sunday that I couldn't get through (it made a lot!) even though I ate it for a couple of days. I am on a soup kick and decided to make this soup. All I did was saute a bit of onions and garlic in a generous amount of olive oil, added a can of diced tomatoes, tomato paste, a few cups of water and the leftover moujadara (lentils/rice). A few pinches of oregano and cumin, salt and pepper and dinner was ready in no time. It was very hearty and delicous.

5 comments:

Jenn and Jac @ sketch-free eating said...

tomato soup was always my fave soup when I was a kid, I never thought of putting anything else in it like this. Must try!

Mama said...

That looks so warm and comforting. I made moujadara after seeing it on your blog, it's fantastic stuffed into a pita for lunch. Perhaps I'll try this once the weather cools down a bit. Thanks for the idea. :)

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Yum! That sounds great. I wish I had your talent to transform leftovers!

I Quit Eating Meat said...

That looks really tasty. Thanks!

vegan.in.brighton said...

That looks great, I'm terrible at using up leftovers - I always just end up eating the exact same thing for days!!