Sunday, October 20, 2013

Good Eats in Montreal.

Just got back from a nine day holiday in Montreal. I haven't been back in 8 years and it was so nice to be there again. This is the first time being vegan in Montreal though. I think I did ok. If I had stayed longer, I would have explored more vegan/vegan friendly restaurants. I was staying at my in-laws house, so we did a lot of hanging out and cooking at home which was fine with me!


The day after we arrived, we popped into L'Inter Marche on the corner to get a few staples. Bagels are a must. Montreal bagels are usually not vegan, made with egg and honey but I was able to find some packaged ones without any animal products yay! The hummus is by Fontaine Sante which I think is the best tasting packaged hummus I've ever had! We went through two or three tubs on this trip.


This is what my husband and I were looking forward to eating. He grew up in St. Leonard, which is primarily italian and the italian bakeries make the most delicious tomato pizza/bread. I was afraid it would be non-vegan, but alas, it is!


And it was nice to find soy milk at a little shop.


Another thing we looked forward to eating. Flakies! They are very crap for you but so good. Flaky layers of air and just a bit of "cream" and fruit filling. As far as I know, this is vegan. The ingredient list is dreadful, don't read it.


Found vegan margarine at IGA supermarket. I jumped for joy.


First meal I made was a simple pasta dish with chickpeas, olives and tomato sauce.


Second meal I made at home: pho! The bowl is tiny because they didn't have larger bowls. It worked well. It was delicious.


Home cooked meal #3. Mary McCartney's Courgette and Lemon Spaghetti. I made it without the cheese of course. Super good. Find the recipe online here.


That amazing hummus and Mary McCartney's saucy mushrooms and tomatoes on toast.


My husband's best friend and his wife took us out to Scaroli's Ristorante for great pasta. I got the primavera which was really tasty. Being vegan I run into a lot of "bland tomato sauces" at italian restos and this one was completely opposite. Full of flavor and even had caramelized red onions in the veggie mix.


Every vegan who visits Montreal eats at Aux Vivres. A friend of ours took us there and we had a great meal.


I ordered the seitan souvlaki plate. Really good stuff.


I had to order dessert. They bake their cakes, pies, brownies in house and I had a really hard time choosing. I decided on the "uncheesecake" with blueberry sauce. Amazing!


We had a quick lunch at Amir on St. Denis one day. I had the falafel pita and yummy garlic potatoes.


Paragon restaurant is a great little no-nonsense eatery in St. Leonard that makes really good submarine sndwiches. I ate there twice on this trip.


This pic does not do it justice. They grill mushrooms, onions and green peppers that are sliced thin thin thin and smother them in a toasted roll with shredded lettuce and tomato on top. I asked for no cheese and no sauce which I'm assuming is dairy based.


So after a 6 hr flight where I had to wake up super early in the morning, I arrived in L.A., headed straight to Vons and picked up ingredients to make my version of Paragon's sub. The insides were good but the bread is all wrong. Too hard, too dense. I need to find the perfect airy french roll for this. Keep your eyes on my blog, I will make this again.

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
foodfeud said...

So sad when bagels aren't vegan! The Flakies sound like Toaster Streudels which I loved when I was younger but yea, nottttt good for you. Interesting they got the cream vegan.
It's nice to be able to cook "at home" on a trip, you probably saved some money and the courgette with lemon pasta sounds delicious.
What was the hummus flavor?

kmouse said...

Just plain hummus which I was absolutely crazy about. I came home and stopped at Trader Joes and picked up their original hummus and it sucked. Why do they have to put cumin in it? Chickpeas, lemon, tahini, garlic, salt that's all there should be in hummus.